3813 Nine Mile Road
First known as New Bridge Road, the name “Nine Mile” comes from the distance between Richmond and Seven Pines ending at Williamsburg Road. In 1888, Richmond City and Seven Pines Railway Company established a route along the road. This line provided city access for Henrico citizens and excursion trains for Richmonders. In 1892, the line was electrified for streetcars two years after developer Edmund Read founded Highland Springs. The federal government purchased the line in 1918 to provide transportation for workers at the WWI powder-bagging plant. In 1920, banker and Sandston namesake, Oliver J. Sands, Sr. bought the streetcar company.