c. 1920. Henrico County Historic Preservation Program. HP 21.
Prior to its 1920s construction, children who lived in the Elko community and surrounding neighborhoods had to travel long distances by horse and wagon to attend White Oak and Glendale schools. With the support of families in the area, Antioch School remained in operation as a one room schoolhouse until 1965.
After it closed, the structure was the home of the Fairfield Ruritans until Henrico County renovated the space into a community center in 2006. Visit Antioch School Community Center’s park page for details. Available for private rental. Playground open for community use 365 days/year, sunrise to sunset.
1922 – First recorded as a school on Henrico County Property Records.
1927 – Ruby Branch was the first teacher. Miss Branch ultimately taught about 25 students in grades 1 through 4. She commuted from Richmond to the school and later boarded at nearby homes during the school year.
1963 – Laura Hall began teaching at the school which was reduced to grades 1-3 and had an enrollment of 19 or 20 students.
1965 – The school closed and students attended Seven Pines after 1965 and Donahoe Elementary School after 1978.