Anderson Cemetery

Geo Coordinates

37.65489,-77.464189

Description

Anderson Cemetery, circa 1867, is one of the earliest African American cemeteries in the Yellow Tavern area. William Kennedy, clerk of Mount Olive Baptist Church, formed the Sons of Jacob, a fraternal organization which pledged “to attend to each other in times of sickness and distress and to see each other decently buried after death.” This two-acre cemetery continued to serve the community for more than a century and includes the graves of ex-slaves, freeborn blacks, farmers, pastors, business leaders and war veterans. Grave markers provided by families, church aid clubs, fraternal groups and other organizations reflect the strong bonds formed across the community.

Map