The mission of the Department of Building Construction and Inspections is to protect the health, safety and welfare of the general public by assuring that all buildings and related equipment are constructed, installed and maintained in compliance with the Virginia Uniform Statewide Building Code.
- We are dedicated to providing services that are commensurate with our customer’s expectations for professionalism and accountability.
- We are committed to establishing policies and procedures that:
- Impose no unnecessary burden to the construction and use of buildings and structures.
- Are consistent, accurate, and practical and minimize confusion and inconvenience.
- We encourage and welcome suggestions from our customers for improving the quality and efficiency of our services.
- We recognize our employees are a valuable resource to be treated with integrity, equality, fairness and respect.
Corona Virus Update Regarding Building Inspections Services
Corona Virus Update Regarding Building Inspections Services (March 24, 2020)
Please be advised that we are implementing the following changes to our Permitting and Inspection services in response to the COVID-19 outbreak.
- Building and Trade Permit Submittals and Issuance: The Department of Building Construction and Inspections office at the West Government Center on 4301 E Parham RD will be closed to the public. Drop stations will be placed in the Administration Building Lobby for building and trade permit submittals. NO FEES ARE BEING COLLECTED AT THIS TIME. Please do not include cash or checks with your application. Applicants will be contacted by staff regarding arrangements to pay the required permit fees. Customers will be notified by email and/or phone with instructions for picking up permits that have been approved and issued. Building and trade permit and plan review services will be conducted by staff via remote telework locations. Communications with customers will be handled via cell phone and email. Please note there will be delays with permit/plan review services due to transport of documents between staff. Please be reminded that the status of permits and inspections can be verified through the following web portal by clicking on this link: Schedule and check inspections/plan reviews
- Inspections: All inspectors will continue working remotely to conduct field inspections. Inspectors are authorized to use discretion for performing inspections of occupied structures, which may include viewing installations for limited scopes of work via photos or video formats (e.g. electrical service changes, appliance installations, etc.). Inspectors have been instructed to communicate with customers about flexible and creative options for completing inspections while also emphasizing the importance of accountability and maintaining their personal safety. Inspection staff has been instructed not to perform inspections where individuals have either tested positive, been exposed to, or are symptomatic of the COVID-19 virus. An inspector refusing to perform an inspection does not waive the building code mandate to obtain required inspections (e.g. prior to installing any concealing materials, finals, etc.). See additional information below for using third party inspection resources as an option for completing these required inspections.
- The Residential Inspection Surcharge Fee for new single-family dwellings is suspended until further notice.
- Third Party Inspections: Customers are authorized, without prior approval, to use third party inspection services for conducting inspections of any interior spaces of occupied dwelling units that require access through the dwelling unit. Customers are also authorized to use third party inspection services, without prior approval, for any inspection that we are unable to perform within 2 days of the submitted inspection request. The use of approved agencies to perform Residential Footing Inspections remain in effect based on the existing policies and procedures for such inspections. The use of third party inspections services for any inspections other than those listed above shall be approved by the Department of Building Construction and Inspections prior to conducting the inspection in accordance with our published Third Party Inspection Policy.
- Complaint inspections for maintenance code violations will be limited only to reports of unsafe buildings and structures that involved life/safety issues. Fats, Oils and Grease (FOG) inspections of commercial foodservice establishments will be suspended indefinitely.
If you have any questions regarding permits, inspections or plan reviews, please call our office at 804-501-4360.
We will continue to monitor and respond to the ongoing status of the COVID-19 outbreak. Customers are asked to please follow the guidelines and precautions recommended by the CDC as outlined in this link: CDC COVID-19 Guidelines. Our staff will be taking common-sense precautions to follow the CDC guidelines while delivering permitting and inspection services. We will continue to update this notice as our policies change in response to this declared national emergency.
Henrico County has created an online resource to share with the public the latest news and information about COVID-19 (coronavirus). This dashboard, at https://arcg.is/0qn194, serves as a clearinghouse of resources, including a map that shows in real-time confirmed cases throughout the world and links to state, federal and international health agencies.
Schedule, cancel or see results of an inspection. Check plan review status.
Residential applications and forms needed for a building permit, plan review comments and permit resubmittals. This includes construction of new houses, renovations/additions to existing houses, moving or demolition of one- and two- family dwellings, decks, porches, sheds, garages and swimming pools.
Commercial applications and forms needed for a building permit, plan review comments and permit resubmittals. This includes construction of new buildings, alterations/additions to existing buildings, tenant upfits, tents, trailers and moving or demolition of structures.
4301 East Parham Road
Henrico, VA 23228
P. O. Box 90775
Henrico, VA 23273-0775