Building Permit – Residential
Build Henrico Permitting Instructions
- Register for and login to your customer account on the Build Henrico website.
- Select “Permits” on the Build Henrico home page.
- Select “Building Permit”.
- Select “Residential” from the dropdown menu next to “Select the option that best describes the application:” and complete your permit submittal by filling out the online application.
- Go to Residential Building Permit requirements to review the document submission standards for the construction of one and two family dwellings. Upload the following applicable documents to be included with your permit application:
- Site Plans
- Construction Plans (Floor Plans, Foundation Plans, Exterior Elevations, Building & Wall Sections, Insulation Details, Fire-Resistant Rated Assemblies, etc.)
- Structural Framing & Engineered Designs (Joists, Rafters, Trusses, Beams, Braced Walls, Retaining Walls, Energy Calculations, etc.)
- Miscellaneous Information (Manufacturer’s Specifications & Installation Instructions, 3rd Party Product Evaluation Reports, etc.)
- Owner’s Affidavit
- DPW Forms (Drainage Calculations, Lot Grading Certification, Agreement in Lieu of Sediment Control Plan, Agreement in Lieu of Stormwater Management Plan, Sediment Basin/Trap Waiver Letter, Shared Maintenance Agreement, Single Family Stormwater Pollution Prevention Plan, Storm Sewer Location Certification)
Go to Help Using Build Henrico for additional information, tutorials and presentations.
Legacy Permitting Instructions
Please mail or hand deliver the following documents along with required fees to the Department of Building Construction and Inspections or The Permit Center (as indicated):
Response to Building Inspections Plan Review Comments (Building Inspections)
1 copy of Response to Plan Review Comments
2 copies of corrected sheets
Note: A fee for this service is assessed for the third and subsequent review at a rate of $25.00 + .50 (state levy) = $25.50 per review.
Permit Resubmittal (Building Inspections or Permit Center) – submit changes to your original permit application
1 copy of Residential Resubmittal Form
2 copies of plot plan if changing location of dwelling or addition
2 copies of revised sheets of construction plans
Note: There is a fee for this service if there is an increase to the original estimated cost.
Permit Extension (Building Inspections)
1 copy of Request for Permit Extension
Permit Cancellation (Building Inspections)
1 copy of Request for Permit Cancellation
Note: You must enter a reason for the cancellation. If a refund is requested, you must add the request to the reason for cancellation. The refund rate is 100% if the permit has not been issued or 75% of the permit fee only if the permit has been issued.
Owner Statement of Responsibility
Erosion and Sediment Control Plan
Affidavit for Alterations to Existing Buildings
Footing and Foundation Permit Routing Form
Response to Plan Review Comments
Residential Resubmittal Form
Request for Permit Extension
Request for Permit Cancellation
Electrical Resubmittal Form
The fee for a residential building permit is based on the estimated cost of the building construction only. The current fee is calculated as follows:
Existing Dwelling: $100 for the first $5000 of estimated cost + $6 per additional $1000 or fraction thereof; fee shall not exceed $680. In addition to the permit fee, there is a 2% state levy. The total fee owed at time of application is the permit fee plus the state levy (permit fee times .02). A permit fee calculator is available at https://henrico.us/bldg/fees/fee-calculator-residential-bld/.
New Dwelling (flat fee): $680 + 13.60 (2% state levy) = $693.60
When is a residential building permit needed?*
Construction or demolition of:
- A building or structure
- Installations or alterations involving the removal of any wall, partition or portion thereof
- Any structural component
- Repair or replacement of any required component of a fire or smoke rated assembly
- Alteration of any required means of egress system
- Tool and storage sheds 256 square feet or larger
- Fences required for a swimming pool
- Concrete or masonry walls exceeding 6 feet
- Retaining walls supporting 3 feet of unbalanced fill
- Swimming pools with a surface area of greater than 150 square feet, exceed 5,000 gallons and are 24 or more inches deep
- Flagpoles more than 30 feet in height
*This is not a comprehensive list. Please call the Department of Building Construction and Inspections at (804) 501-4360 with any questions.