County approved permit plans are required on site for all inspections including reinspections.
For new dwellings and additions where a soils report is required, a complete copy of the report must be provided on site for this inspection.
This DECK FOOTING inspection is required prior to placing concrete.
- Footings are to be dug straight. Footing bottoms shall be level and a minimum of 18″ below grade, through soft areas including fill, and to suitable bearing soil for decks not attached to the dwelling. If the deck is attached to the dwelling the footings are to be dug to suitable bearing, typically 18″ below grade or in areas of moderate to high shrink swell potential to the depth specified by the soils report If grade of trench bottom slopes more than one inch in ten inches (1:10), it shall be stepped so that both top and bottom of concrete footings are level. The thickness of the concrete shall be marked in an approved manner. If solid block type material is used in lieu of concrete it must be of the size and thickness specified on the approved plans.
- Pier footings are to be excavated to the size and depth shown on the approved plans and/or the soils report. All pier footings shall be located and aligned per the approved plans.
- All mud, soft areas, loose dirt, frozen soil, water, roots, organic material and “backhoe bucket tooth marks” shall be removed.
- If the deck is to be built under the same permit as the dwelling or an addition, this inspection may be requested at the same time or separate from footing inspections for the main part of the project. If round footings are used in lieu of a typical square footing the following chart will apply.
Square Round 12″ 14″ 16″ 18″ 18″ 21″ 20″ 23″ 24″ 28″
- The deck stair location may require tempered glazing to be installed in the house or addition. See Item # 11 in the VENEER section for the specific requirements. Guardrail post notching is not allowed. Hand and guardrail components are required to meet the strength and size requirements of the IRC.
- The house band board, rim joist and sill plate abutted by decks, porches, steps, stoops, and landings shall be pressure-treated or such appurtenances shall be freestanding with appropriate lateral bracing to provide stability. Decks, porches, steps, stoops and landings shall be flashed with an approved material.
- Mechanical fasteners i.e. joists hangers, bolts, nails, screws are to be compatible with the material used for corrosion resistance durability load supported.
- Deck support columns are to be of adequate size to support the intended loads and are to be centered on the footings with a minimum 2″ projection on all sides of the column.
- Breaks in beams, girders and other structural elements are to occur over support columns and be fastened accordingly.
- If this inspection is performed by a Registered Design Professional an inspection request is to be made by calling (804) 501-7770 or on the web at http://henrico.us/bldg/insp. The report must be received in our office and approved prior to obtaining a final inspection.
Footing inspections performed by a Registered Design Professional are to follow the requirements of the Henrico County Footing Inspections Policy enacted August 1, 1999.