Tents are regulated by Henrico County zoning ordinances and permitted only under specific circumstances at limited locations. The applicant should contact the Planning Office at (804) 501-4602 to determine if the proposed use and location qualify for consideration prior to the submittal for a building permit.
Applicants should also notify the Henrico County Division of Fire at (804) 501-4900 and the Henrico County Division of Police at (804) 501-4800 for information regarding their specific requirements prior to completing a building permit application.
Note: Applications should be submitted at least 30 days prior to scheduled event.
- Login to Build Henrico to submit an online application. Permit fees and state levy fees are due upon application.
- In the work description state the length of time the tent is to remain on the premises and indicate its intended use.
- A site plan showing the location of the tent including dimensions from property lines, parking lots and existing structures.
- A plan showing the dimensions of the tent and details showing tie-down information. These dimensions may be shown on the site plan.
- The certificate of flame resistance for the tent.
- If food is to be served or prepared in this tent, the distance to adjacent structures must be indicated. Applicants should also contact the Health Department at (804) 501-4530 for information regarding food service permits.
The appropriate approvals of County agencies with functional and operational responsibilities shall be included in the review of the permit application (i.e. Planning, Public Works and Public Utilities). These agencies shall be contacted for other requirements where applicable.