302 Lee Avenue
Henrico, VA 23075
This landmark is near The Springs Recreation Center.
c. 1925. Henrico County Historic Preservation Program. HP 82.
Locomotive Club of Richmond.
This painted brick structure has elements of both the Bungalow/Craftsman and Colonial Revival styles of architecture, which were predominate styles during the first half of the 20th century. The building originally served as the meeting place for the Locomotive Club of Richmond. Eventually it became a private swim and racket club for the Highland Springs community before opening as a Henrico County Recreation Center in 1997.
1853 – Joseph and Elizabeth Tyree owned 400 acres of land known as “Woodstock.”
1924 – Cora B. McCluer and E.B. McCluer sold the property to the “Locomotive Club.” According to a 1924 deed, a railroad bed for the Richmond and Rappahannock Railroad crossed through the middle of the property.
1930 – The American Locomotive Company purchased the property from the Locomotive Club of Richmond.
1977 – The Confederate Hills Civic and Recreation Association purchased the property.
1994 – Henrico County acquired the property.
1997 – Dedicated as Confederate Hills Recreation Center.
2020 – Renamed to The Springs Recreation Center.