c. 1820. Henrico County Historic Preservation Program. HP 70.
Dabbs House served as Robert E. Lee’s headquarters for 62 days in the summer of 1862 at which time he planned the Seven Days Battles. From 1888 to the present, Dabbs House has been owned and operated by Henrico County as an alms house, police headquarters, tourist information center, and currently, a museum. Dabbs House is open for special programs and by appointment.
1820 – The original portion of the house is built and originally called “High Meadow.” The construction date is based on an architectural estimate by J.M. O’Dell in 1976.
1859 – Josiah Dabbs purchases High Meadow and moves to Henrico with his wife Mary Catherine. They live at High Meadow until his death in 1862.
June 1862 – Confederate General Robert E. Lee establishes a headquarters at Dabbs through August 15, 1862.
1868 – Anna Anable purchases Dabbs House at public auction for $9,000.
1883-1888 – The County of Henrico purchases the property and begins the operation of an Almshouse, which remains in operation until 1924.
1932 – The house is rented to the Ragland and Adams families.
1940 – Henrico Theatre architect Edward F. Sinnott is hired to design additions to Dabbs. The County departments of Health, Welfare, Probation and the WPA sewing project begin operation here.
1941 – County of Henrico Police Headquarters begins a more than 60-year tenure at Dabbs House.
1964 – Henrico County announces the completion of an underground Emergency Operating Center on the property.
2005 – Henrico County Police move out of Dabbs House.
2008 – Henrico Recreation & Parks opens Dabbs House Museum.
2010 – Henrico Recreation & Parks opens the County’s first Tourist Information Center at Dabbs.