1600 Hilliard Road
Henrico, VA 23228
This landmark is near Belmont Recreation Center.
c. 1850. Henrico County Historic Preservation Program. HP 78.
The original two-story brick dwelling with end chimneys has been altered. However, portions of the front porch, some windows and the upstairs closets remain intact.
1858 – Edward J. Warren purchased the home and 100 acres. Warren served as a private in the Confederate Infantry was captured by Union Troops and held prisoner at Fort Monroe.
1880s – The property is first referred to as “Belmont” while owned by New York native William Coggeshall.
1916 – The house and property became the home of Hermitage Country Club. Renowned golf course architect A.W. Tillinghast designed the course for Hermitage Country Club.
1949 – Sam Snead won the only Professional Golfers Association (PGA) Tournament played in the state of Virginia.
1977 – Henrico County purchased the site from Hermitage Country Club and opened it as Belmont Recreation Center and Golf Course.
2020 – The First Tee of Richmond assumed operation of the golf course and will oversee a comprehensive redesign and renovation. Details available on The First Tee of Greater Richmond’s website.