Nuckols Farm


3501 Gayton Hill Lane
Henrico, VA

Geo Coordinates



c. 1849-1972. Henrico County Historic Preservation Program. HP 33. Formerly known as Locust Grove.

The property was home to the Nuckols family from 1849 to 1972. The family cultivated tobacco before changing to a dairy farm in the 1920s. The farm was featured in a 1928 edition of Southern Planter. The articles discussed not just the conversion from tobacco to cows, but also the family’s mule raising and trading business.

Historical Timeline

1849 – Israel Nuckols purchased the 274 acres for $1,600.
1856 – Israel’s will granted “life estate” to his wife Jane.
1874 – Israel and Jane’s son Jacob became sole owner of the property.
1911 – Oscar Nuckols, Jacob’s son, established a tobacco farm on the property, but changed it to a dairy farm by 1922.
1941 – Oscar Nuckols, who also served as Henrico County Board chairman in 1934, died and left the farm to his sons Forrest and Graham.
1972 – The property left Nuckols family ownership.
2005 – Henrico County acquired the property.


Google Translate Icon