c. 1938. Henrico County Historic Preservation Program. HP 74.
Henrico Theatre was built in 1938 by Charles and B.N. Somma. Edward F. Sinnott was the architect responsible for the art deco design. The theatre was constructed of poured concrete and brick and the interior retains original decorative elements on the walls and ceilings. The theatre not only represents modern advancements in architecture from the time, it is also significant for helping to further urbanize a previously rural community.
Henrico Theatre host second-run movies for $1 and live performances for $10 each month. Visit henricotheatre.com for details and ticket prices. The theatre also has spaces available for private rentals.
1928 – Owner Charles Somma, along with Walter Coulter also constructed the Byrd Theatre in Carytown.
1938 – The theatre was built with cutting edge technology and building materials like the high-tech Simplex projector, monolithic pour concrete and “year round air conditioning.” In a grand opening advertisement, The Richmond Times-Dispatch touted the movie house as a “big city temple of entertainment in beautiful rural surroundings…”
1940s – Theatre designer and architect Edward F. Sinnott, also designed the additions to Dabbs House.
1940 – The Architectural Record named the theatre as one of the most significant examples of recent architecture in Richmond.
1999 – Henrico County purchases the theatre from the Horne family.
2005 – The theatre was added to the National Register of Historic Places.
2007 – After extensive restoration and renovation, Henrico Theatre opens once again to the public, hosting second-run movies and live performances.