RECREATION & PARKS
This restored 1825 historic tavern serves as a facility for programs and special events. The building, gazebo, and garden area are available for private rental. Walkerton Tavern is a unique facility perfect for everything from a business meeting or retreat, to an afternoon reception with your friends or serving as the backdrop for a beautiful wedding. Walkerton Tavern is located in the historic Mountain Road corridor. A variety of classes and events are offered for both children and adults throughout the year. Parking for programs and events at Walkerton Tavern is available in the parking lot shared with The Cultural Arts Center at Glen Allen.
Hours of Operation
Rental & Program Hours
View the programs held at Walkerton Tavern.
For a complete list of Recreation programs and to register online, visit HCRP Connect.
Registration is required in advance for all programs with a fee.
Sunday in the Park with Jazz
Sun, Oct 11, 3-4pm. Free.
Enjoy a fun-filled fall day on the grounds at Walkerton Tavern! Bring your lawn chair and listen to the musical stylings of Doctors of Jazz. Information: 501-5138.
Areas available for rent include the first floor, the second floor, the caterer’s kitchen, and the garden and gazebo. The parking lot (shared with The Glen Allen Cultural Arts Center) has a capacity of 200 vehicles.
- Parlor: 12 (maximum capacity)
- Dining Room: 11 (maximum capacity)
- History Room: 12 (maximum capacity)
- Long Room: 44 (maximum capacity)
- Side Room: 15 (maximum capacity)
- Map Room: 16 (maximum capacity)
Gardens and Gazebo: 200 (maximum capacity)
- Sample Room Diagrams
- Walkerton Tavern Facility Reservation Guide
- Facility Rental Application-Individual
- Facility Rental Application-Organization
Constructed in 1825 for John Walker, the Tavern served travelers along Mountain Road. It is architecturally notable for its hinged, swinging, two-segment partition that was used to enlarge an upstairs room to accommodate guests. From 1857 to 1941, Walkerton was the home of the Hopkins family. The Bowles family purchased the home in 1941 and sold it to S. Douglas Fleet in 1986. Mr. Fleet sold the property to Henrico County who opened it to the public in 2005. National Register Historic Site.