What is an Enterprise Zone?
An Enterprise Zone is a specific area identified by Henrico County and approved by the State for targeting incentives to stimulate business development and job growth. Businesses within the Enterprise Zone can take advantage of State and County financial and technical assistance and other incentives for physical improvements to building, parking areas, and signage.
Location of Henrico County Enterprise Zone
To access a map of the Enterprise Zone, click on one of the three maps links described below. In order to view a more detailed map and/or determine whether your business is located within the Henrico County Enterprise Zone there are several options.
- Browse the Enterprise Zone Property List (PDF).
- Use the County GIS System to determine whether your business falls within the Enterprise Zone.
- Read Web Site Disclaimer and check the box where indicated; select Enter Site (allow Map to load);
- Select the Search tab (top left row);
- In the outlined box, select the Addresses tab;
- Type the business location address – DO NOT USE PERIODS, (example 4301 E Parham Rd or 4301 e parham rd); once the address is entered, select Search;
- You will now be viewing a map with a green flashing light, indicating address location;
- On the Second Row, far left, Select the icon titled “Toggle Table of Contents”;
- Next, check the PLANNING box and then select the Arrow to the left of the box;
- Final Step, check the Enterprise Zone sub heading box under PLANNING; if a pink/red color covers the blinking “green light” – the entered property location is within the Henrico Enterprise Zone.
- Maps of the Zone in three parts can be downloaded by clicking any of the three links below.
- For maps of all Enterprise Zones in Virginia, including Henrico County, visit the site of the Virginia Economic Development Partnership and click “Access Downloadable Data.
For additional assistance, please call the Henrico Department of Community Revitalization at (804) 501-7615.
Users may enlarge (zoom in) the above maps.
For qualifying projects, Henrico County will provide financial assistance, accelerated development processing, permit and fee waivers, a seven year real estate tax exemption, commercial and industrial rehabilitation grants, employment and training assistance, and technical assistance. A complete list of financial and technical assistance and other incentives available to enterprise zone business and application forms is available here.
Will designation as an Enterprise Zone change the zoning of my property?
No, designation as an Enterprise Zone does not change the zoning of your property.
What State incentives are available to these firms?
There are two state grants: job creation and real property investment. These are available in addition to the County incentives outlined in the above list. They can be used in conjunction with Henrico County incentives or separately.
Job Creation Grant
Depending on the wage paid and benefits provided, grants are available for up to $800 per job per year for five years.
Real Property Investment Grant
Businesses making real property improvements in excess of $100,000 for rehabilitation and $500,000 for new construction are eligible for grants up to 20% of the value of the improvement. Maximum amounts available are $100,000 for rehabilitation and $200,000 for new construction.
Information about the Enterprise Zone and detailed maps can be reviewed at the Permit Centers in the Eastern and Western Government Centers, at any of the Henrico County public libraries, or at the Department of Community Revitalization. For more information concerning the Henrico County Enterprise Zone or for general information on this subject, call the Henrico Department of Community Revitalization at (804) 501-7615.
Enterprise Zone Annual Reports
Each year Henrico County submits to the Virginia Department of Housing and Community Development an Annual Report describing activity in the County Enterprise Zone for the previous year. To view a copy of the 2011 report, click here. To view a copy of the 2012 report, click here. To view a copy of the 2013 report, click here. To view a copy of the 2014 report, click here.
2015 Enterprise Zone Amendment
On March 10, 2015 the Henrico County Board of Supervisors authorized the submission of an amendment to the Henrico Enterprise Zone to expand the boundaries and amend one of the incentives. That amendment was approved by the Virginia Department of Housing and Community Development on June 19, 2015. The amendment added properties in the following general locations: at Starling Drive and Quioccasin Road, along Eastridge and Parham Roads, along Oakleys Lane West of Gillie Creek, along November Avenue, and between S. Laburnum Avenue and S. Airport Drive, north of Seven Hills Boulevard.