A HIP Zone is a special area identified by the County as being eligible for incentives designed to stimulate redevelopment. Businesses and property owners can take advantage of several incentives for physical improvements to buildings, parking areas, and signage, as well as technical and financial assistance from the County.
Location of HIP Zones
There are 5 HIP Zones, consisting of the following areas:
- Patterson Avenue: Starling Drive to the Goochland County Line
- West Broad Street: Hungary Spring Road to Pemberton Road
- Staples Mill Road: Parham Road to Dumbarton Avenue
- Mechanicsville Turnpike: Richmond City Line to Henrico Plaza
- Williamsburg Road: Laburnum Avenue to Nine Mile Road
To access maps of the HIP Zones, click on the map links above or use the County GIS System to view all of the zones in the County.
Navigate to the County GIS System
- Select the Layers button on the top left of the map
- Check the box next to Community Revitalization
- Click the small arrow next to the Community Revitalization box to open up the group
- Check the box labeled “Investment Zones”
- Zoom/scroll around the county to view the locations of the HIP Zones
To see if your address is located within a HIP Zone:
- Once the HIP Zones are displayed on the map (see above for instructions), you can search your address to determine if your address falls in a HIP Zone using the Search Tool
- Select the Search box (top left corner)
- Click the down arrow button and select Henrico Address
- Type the property/business location address or parcel address in the Search box – Once the address is entered; click the Search icon (magnifying glass)
Eligible applicants within these five zones include the following commercial or industrial uses: retail or wholesale trades, hotels, restaurants, offices, clinics, warehouses, light manufacturing, or similar uses determined by the Director of Community Revitalization. The program specifically excludes the following uses: apartments, dwellings, townhomes, and other residential uses, heavy manufacturing, exterior corridor motels, pay day lenders, and adult businesses and other uses where admittance to the public is conditioned on being over the age of 18.
Incentives offered by Henrico County
For qualifying projects, Henrico County will provide commercial and industrial rehabilitation grants, permit and planning fee waivers, sewer connection credits, and financial and technical assistance. View the complete list of incentives available to HIP Zone business/property owners, as well as the accompanying grant application forms.
HIP Zone designation does not change the zoning of any property.
Learn More about the Henrico Investment Program
For more information concerning the Henrico Investment Program or for general information on this subject, call the Henrico County Department of Community Revitalization at (804) 501-7615.