Photo Gallery of Henrico’s Chairmen, 1934-Present
In 1934, exactly 300 years after its establishment as one of the eight original shires in the Commonwealth of Virginia, Henrico became the only Virginia locality to adopt the county manager form of government. The Board of Supervisors is the policy-making body of the County of Henrico and annually elects a chairman who presides at each board meeting and serves as the political head of County government for all official functions and ceremonial purposes. The formal portraits of Henrico County Supervisors who have held the office of Chairman since 1934 are on display at the Government Center in the Board Room, where the Board of Supervisors holds its semimonthly meetings. Copies of the portraits are included below. Past chairmen currently serving on the Board of Supervisors are shown in color. To view a larger version of each image, click on the picture.