We serve people experiencing the effects of or at risk for mental illness, developmental disabilities and substance use disorders and children with developmental delay. Henrico Area Mental Health & Developmental Services promotes dignity, recovery and self-sufficiency in the lives of the people we serve.
We offer Same Day Access to services, please contact our Access Services Call Center at (804) 727-8515 for more information.
In the event of a mental health or substance use crisis, our Emergency Services personnel are available 24/7. Please call (804) 727-8484.
Henrico County has created an online resource to share with the public the latest news and information about COVID-19 (coronavirus). This dashboard, at https://arcg.is/0qn194, serves as a clearinghouse of resources, including a map that shows in real time confirmed cases throughout the world and links to state, federal and international health agencies.
IF YOU ARE SEEKING SERVICES AT HENRICO AREA MENTAL HEALTH & DEVELOPMENTAL SERVICES
During the State of Emergency related to the COVID 19 pandemic, Henrico Area Mental Health & Developmental Services will be suspending walk-In requests for Same Day Access Services for mental health and substance use treatment. We recognize that there is a continued need for mental health, substance use services during the pandemic, and have shifted our business model to meet these needs. The stress related to the pandemic has increased many individuals’ level of isolation and anxiety, and some people may be in need of services now more than ever,
We are temporarily suspending the vast majority of physical face-to-face services relying on telephone and telehealth (video conferencing) to support individuals in the community.
To access services:
- Please call 804-727-8515 between 8:00 am and 4:30 pm, and let the person answering the phone know that you are seeking mental health or substance use services.
- They will connect you with a licensed therapist who will gather some more information to make sure that we are able to meet your needs.
- Once we have determined that we can assist you, you will be asked a number of basic questions—age, date of birth, address, etc. You will also be asked for some financial information including insurance information.
- On the same day, or within the next business day, you will be connected to a licensed therapist either through the telephone or a video conference for a full assessment.
This is a new technology for many people but has been proven to be an effective therapy tool. We look forward to serving you.
Looking for support resources while stuck at home?
Online Meetings Directory
Speaker Tape Websites
Speaker Tape Apps
AA Audio Companion
AA Big Book Ultimate Companion
AA Speaker Tapes
AA Speaker Tapes & 12 Steps
Google Play (free)-
App Store ($1.99)-
AA Speakers Best of 2007
Alcoholics Anonymous- Bill W.
Daily AA Speakers
Daily Bread AA
Joe and Charlie
Speaker Tapes from Sandy B
Our agency is proud to be a member of the Henrico Heroin Task Force. The task force was developed top stop opiate overdose and death in our community and to promote treatment for the citizens who are affected by this epidemic.
Please visit our prevention website at henricoprevention.org
Henrico Area Mental Health & Developmental Services: Celebrating Fifty Years of Service
To Request Services:
New Requests for Mental Health and Substance Use Services:
- Same Day Access to services is available at our East Center and Woodman Road Offices. Individuals requesting services are encouraged to walk in to the office with a photo ID, copy of insurance card if the individual has insurance, or proof of income if the individual is uninsured.
- Same Day Access is available: Monday through Wednesday: 7:30 to 3:00pm, Thursdays: 7:30 to 5:30 pm. Friday: 7:30 to 11:00 am.
Henrico County Intake (804) 727-8515 Emergency (804) 727-8484 Charles City/New Kent Counties Intake (804) 727-8515 Emergency 1-877-264-8484 TTY (804) 727-8496
Dealing with Traumatic Events
We would like to share a few links of useful information that may help you cope with traumatic events. Coping with Disasters and Traumatic Events
Forms for New Clients
- Agency Orientation Checklist
- Authorization for Disclosing and or Requesting Health Info
- Client Admission – Same Day Access
- Client Orientation Handbook
- Client Request to Access Records
- E-Mail Consent
- Ethics Brochure
- Financial Agreement
- Hepatitis B General Information
- Hepatitis C & Injection Drug Use
- Human Rights Brochure
- Privacy Notice
- Telehealth Informed Consent
- Tuberculosis Fact Sheet
Fees are based on the cost of delivering each service. A sliding scale, based on family income and number of dependents, allow the agency to make a payment adjustment. Fees may be covered by Medicaid, Medicare, or other third-party insurance. No one is denied service due to an inability to pay. Henrico Area Mental Health & Developmental Services does not discriminate on the basis of sex, age, religion, race, handicap, or national origin.