The Early Courthouses in Varina-Establishment of Justice


4301 E Parham Road
Henrico, VA

Geo Coordinates



During the 1620s, Henrico court meetings were referred to as the Court of Upper Charles City. After the establishment of the county in 1634, the gentlemen justices of Henrico assembled for their monthly sessions either at the home of one of their members or at a local meeting place such as a tavern or church. By 1640, the Henrico Court was meeting in Varina, and in 1680, Varina “where the court house is” was designated a town by the General Assembly.