The Payroll Section of the Accounting Division consist of 4 employees; one Payroll Supervisor, one Accountant, and two Payroll Specialists. In addition to process payroll checks, we prepare approximately 17,000 W-2’s, file all Federal Tax Withholdings and Social Security reports as well as State withholding reports.
- Process all manual payroll checks.
- Process approximately 4,500 earning statements for bi-weekly payrolls and 5,900 earning statements for monthly payrolls.
- Update employees salary records; setup, notify employees and monitor all miscellaneous deductions.
- Remit all tax withholdings as well as process all tax & wage reports (W2’S, VEC, 941, etc.).
- Resolve problems with unclaimed property (Outstanding Payroll Checks).
- Research tax issues to determine appropriate handling.
- Monitor coverage payments for participants of continued health insurance; retirement & group life contributions, etc.
- Generate NEI to disburse miscellaneous deductions, garnishments, tax liens, child support payments, etc.
- Reconcile payroll withholdings and expenses from payroll system reports to general ledger accounts & billing statements.
- Provide customer service to county employees and outside agencies to resolve any questions or issues that may arise concerning salaries and deductions as well as to give detailed information of federal & state payroll regulations and county payroll policies and procedures.
Important Note About Taxes
Please review the tax exemptions to ensure the proper amount of taxes is being withheld. You may access this information through the HRMS/STEP system. Login to the system, select your Employee Direct Access, and then choose My Payslip; Tax exemption information is near the bottom of your online payslip (See Example Below)
The IRS provides tools on the web to help you determine proper W-4 withholding at http://www.irs.gov/Individuals (Click on IRS withholding calculator), or you can request IRS publication 919.
To avoid incorrect information on your W-2, please contact Human Resources immediately if your name or social security number is incorrect. Please check your address, also found in Employee Direct Access, under Personal Information. If the information is incorrect, you may update it from that page.