The Temporary Assistance for Needy Families program provides eligible families with a monthly cash payment to meet their basic needs. For a child to be eligible he must be:
- Under age 18, or if 18, will graduate from high school before age 19
- Going to school regularly if he is between the ages of five and 18
- Living with a parent or other relative
- A U.S. citizen or an eligible immigrant
Virginia’s TANF program emphasize personal responsibility. Participants may be provided with services such as job skills training, work experience, job readiness training, child care assistance, transportation and other work related expenses.
Recipients of TANF and Temporary Assistance for Needy Families – Unemployed Parent (TANF-UP) benefits, must participate in the VIEW program as a condition of eligibility, unless otherwise exempt. The TANF-UP program is intended to provide assistance to families with two able-bodied parents.
Screening for Eligibility & Applying
- Option 1: Screen for eligibility and/or apply online through CommonHelp
- Option 2: Bypass eligibility screening and submit an application manually. Fill out an “Application for Benefits” from the forms section on this page and return it to your local department of social services.