Police Ride-Along Program
Ride Alongside an On-Duty Henrico Police Officer
The Henrico Police Ride-Along Program is available to community members interested in law enforcement, including perspective applicants, youth and young adults, police volunteers and program participants. The program offers a firsthand view of the challenges, risks and rewards of law enforcement today and a greater understanding of the police officer’s role in the community.
Those interested in a ride-along should contact the Henrico Police Personnel Unit at (804) 501-5197, Monday-Friday, 8 a.m.-4:30 p.m.
Officer and participant safety is of the utmost importance, as is the privacy of our community members. Accordingly, the following requirements must be met and rules followed to participate in the Ride-Along Program.
- Must be 14 years of age and older.
- Sign and have witnessed by a member of the Henrico County Police Division the Waiver of Civil Liability prior to participating in the ride-along; a parent or legal guardian must sign for participants under the age of 18.
- Dress in business-like attire during the ride-along.
- Be willing to follow all lawful orders and/or instructions given by the officer with whom you are assigned.
RULES OF THE RIDE-ALONG
- Observers shall remain in the police vehicle when an officer is conducting a traffic stop.
- Observers are not permitted to interview, question, or engage in conversation with any suspect or arrestee while the officer is engaged in his lawful duties.
- Any observer which, in the opinion of the officer, acts in an inappropriate manner or makes any comments or statements that are detrimental to the image of Henrico Police, shall be subject to termination of their ride-along privilege.
- Observers may not enter the private property of another person before, during or after the execution of a search warrant or raid.
- Observers may not participate in any pre-planned, high-risk tactical incidents.
- Observers must comply if an officer requires the observer to remain in the police vehicle while on a call for service when the officer believes his/her safety or the safety of the observer may be compromised.
- Observers are not permitted to carry any type of firearm or weapon, regardless of permits.
Contact the Henrico Police Personnel Unit at (804) 501-5197, Monday-Friday, 8 a.m.-4:30 p.m. for more information or to request to participate in the Henrico Police Ride-Along Program.
Due to a variety of circumstances, such as severe weather, staffing issues or critical incidents, all ride-alongs, scheduled or otherwise, can be canceled at any time. Henrico Police will make every effort to reschedule at a later date.