Apply for a Park Event Permit
Thank you for your interest in holding an event in Henrico County! We look forward to working with you to ensure that your event is safe and successful.
A permit is required to hold outdoor events such as festivals, runs, walks, or parades on park property. Events may be held during regular park hours; parks are open daily from dawn to dusk year-round.
Recreation and Parks employs a full-time staff of professional event management specialists to guide you through the event planning process. Because every event is unique, it is important that you consult with the Special Events Section as soon as your plan starts developing. Large and/or new events need more time to plan than smaller, seasoned events.
The goal of the Special Events Section is to help make the coordination of your park event in Henrico County as easy as possible. Contact us early in your planning process so we can guide you from the start!
Park Event Types
Minor Park Event (if any one of the following criteria is met):
- Event attendance will not exceed 100 people.
- Tents no larger than 10’x10’ will be used.
- No invitations will be issued to the general public.
Moderate Park Event (if any one of the following criteria is met):
- The event is intended for attendance by the general public.
- The event will include vending/concessionaire/commercial activities.
- The event requires exclusive use of the site.
- The event will impact public usage of the site.
- Event attendance will exceed 100 people but be less than 1,000 people.
- The event includes at least one of the following:
- Inflatable attractions (bounce houses)
- Entertainment/Electricity/Sound system
- Minor equipment (tents, canopies, stages, barricades, etc.)
Major Park Event (if any one of the following criteria is met):
- The event requires the closure of public roads.
- Event attendance will exceed 1,000 people.
- The event will include high-risk activities.
- Recreation and Parks offers certain shelters that are available on a first-come, first-served basis. Non-permitted events do not require a rental fee, but also do not provide exclusive access to any part of the park. These first-come, first-served shelters are at the following locations:
- Antioch School Community Center
- Deep Bottom Park
- Eastern Henrico Recreation Center
- Elko Recreation Area
- Hunton Community Center & Park
- Pouncey Tract Park
- Short Pump Park
- The Springs Recreation Center
- Twin Hickory Park
Note: There are also additional reservable shelters at most park locations.
How to Receive this Service
- Determine which park event type category you fall under (see criteria listed above).
- Download our Special Event Planning Guide and read through the guide completely.
- Fill out the online form below.
- A representative from the Special Events Section will contact you within 5 business days to discuss the next steps.