The National Association of Counties (NACo) has appointed seven Henrico County officials to the organization’s committees for 2021-22.
Members of the Board of Supervisors received the following appointments:
- Chairman and Brookland District Supervisor Daniel J. Schmitt, Community, Economic and Workforce Development Steering Committee;
- Vice Chairman and Tuckahoe District Supervisor Patricia S. O’Bannon, Telecommunications and Technology Steering Committee. She will serve as vice chair of the committee as well as chair of the Information Technology Standing Committee; vice chair of the Healthy Counties Advisory Board; member of the International Economic Development Task Force and the Large Urban County Caucus; and county board member of the Resilient Counties Advisory Board.
- Fairfield District Supervisor Frank J. Thornton, Human Services and Education Steering Committee; and
- Varina District Supervisor Tyrone E. Nelson, Transportation Steering Committee.
Administration officials received the following appointments:
- Deputy County Manager for Administration W. Brandon Hinton, Finance, Pensions and Intergovernmental Affairs Steering Committee;
- Deputy County Manager for Community Affairs Monica L. Smith-Callahan, Health Steering Committee; and
- Deputy County Manager for Public Safety Anthony E. McDowell, Justice and Public Safety Steering Committee.
A national grassroots organization uniting more than 3,000 counties across the United States, NACo works to improve county government and increase public understanding of the role of counties. The steering committees form the association’s policy-making arm. The committees and other governing bodies meet several times per year to examine key issues of county government and make recommendations on legislative policies and goals.