APPLICATION PROCESS & GENERAL INFORMATION
The Henrico County Sheriff’s Office seeks men and women who desire to build a career in corrections/law enforcement. A Henrico Jailor performs various jail security duties within The Henrico County Regional Jails. This unarmed position is open to those 18 to 20 years of age. Age 21 or older will be considered for The Deputy Sheriff position.
Henrico County is a suburban county that serves over 300,000 citizens, bordering the City of Richmond and several counties including Chesterfield and Hanover. The Henrico County Sheriff’s Office traces its roots back over 400 years and today, is one of the largest Sheriff’s Offices in the Commonwealth with over 300 sworn staff.
As of July 1, 2019, the entry level salary for the Jailor position is $38,415 This position is eligible for cost of living and merit increases, based on job performance. Other benefits available include health insurance, dental insurance, life insurance, workers compensation insurance, short and long-term disability insurance, paid sick and annual leave, retirement with law enforcement officer’s supplement (Virginia Retirement System,) tuition reimbursement, uniforms and equipment, the Employee Assistance Program.
The following are automatic dis-qualifiers from the application process for the Henrico Deputy Sheriff position:
- Illegal us of any Schedule I, II, or III drugs (i.e. hash, cocaine, crack, heroin, opiates, LSD, PCP, Mushrooms, barbiturates, ecstasy, steroids, amphetamines, etc.)
- Criminal activity which is of a serious nature, reflects moral turpitude, or indicates a tendency to disregard the law (theft, perjury, fraud.)
- Conviction of a domestic assault
- Traffic violations with an accumulation of six penalty points within the past 12 months
- Applicant is not 18 years of age by date of hire
- Applicant is not a high school graduate or has not completed a GED program by date of hire
- Applicant does not possess a valid Virginia operator’s license by date of hire
- Any conviction or plea of guilty or no contest to a felony or any offense that would be a felony if committed in the Commonwealth of Virginia
- Any conviction or plea of guilty or no contest to any misdemeanor sex offense in the Commonwealth of Virginia, another state, or the United States, including but not limited to sexual battery under Section 18.2-67.4 of the Code of Virginia or consensual sexual intercourse with a minor 15 or older under clause (ii) of Section 18.2-371 of the Code of Virginia
- Any conviction that requires the registration in the Virginia Sex Offender Registry
- Illegal sale of any drug or narcotic
- For former military, not having received an honorable discharge or general discharge under honorable conditions
- Applicant is not a U.S. citizen by time of hire
Please note – Marijuana use will be discussed during the hiring process.
How To Apply
Once you have reviewed the above dis-qualifiers and believe you are eligible to apply for the position of Jailor, you must first apply through the website to be considered for the position as a Deputy Sheriff. There are no exceptions. Once your application is reviewed and it reflects being under 21, you will automatically be considered for the Jailor position.
Once you have submitted a complete application on henricojobs.com, you must return to this web page and download the below additional two documents to print and complete, following the specific directions provided:
(To download these PDF Documents, right click and choose “save as” or “save target”)
Once you have submitted you application electronically and completed the above Personal History Statement and reference forms, if selected to continue in the process, you will be submitted to a through background investigation, a polygraph examination, a physical examination (including drug screening,) and a psychological screening, a board interview, and a interview with the Sheriff.
If you have further questions after reviewing the above information carefully, please email The Henrico County Sheriff’s Office Human Resources Section at email@example.com or call (804)501-5558 for assistance.