Fire Protection System Permit
For all other fire protection systems or equipment installations, follow the instructions below for Build Henrico permitting instructions.
Build Henrico Permitting Instructions
- Register for and login to your customer account on the Build Henrico website.
- Select “Permits” on the Build Henrico home page.
- Select “Fire Protection System Permit” under Trade Permits to create your permit application and follow the online application instructions. Upload the following applicable documents to be included with your permit application:
- Fire Protection System Plans – Fire Suppression Systems; Fire Alarm & Detection Systems, etc.
- System Design Calculations
- Equipment Specifications
- Owner’s Affidavit – Statement that applicant is either the owner or owner’s agent, i.e., exempt from being a licensed contractor
- Site Plan (Plot Plan) – Location of proposed work on property
Go to Help Using Build Henrico for additional information, tutorials and presentations.
Legacy Permitting Instructions
Please mail or hand deliver the following documents along with the permit fee to the Department of Building Construction and Inspections: Fire Protection System – Commercial
- 1 copy of Fire Protection System Permit Application (please fill in Virginia Contractor’s License No.)
- 2 copies of Fire Protection System plans with calculations (if not approved under the building permit)
Fire Protection System – Residential
- 1 copy of Fire Permit Application (please fill in Virginia Contractor’s License No.)
- 1 copy of Owner’s Affidavit if owner is acting as contractor
- 2 copies of fire plans with calculations
- 1 copy of Fire Permit Application with AMEND in the description of work Additional permit fee is required if there is additional estimated cost
- 1 copy of Request for Permit Cancellation
Fire Protection System Application
Fire Protection Resubmittal Form
Note: You must enter a reason for the cancellation. If a refund is requested, you must add the request to the reason for cancellation. The refund rate is 100% if the permit has not been issued or 75% of the permit fee only if the permit has been issued.
The fee for a fire protection system permit is based on the cost of labor and material for the installation or alteration. The current fee is calculated as follows:
Commercial new or existing: $100 for the first $5000 of estimated cost + $7 per additional $1000 or fraction thereof. In addition to the permit fee, there is a 2% state levy. The total fee owed at the time of application is the permit fee plus the state levy (permit fee times .02). A permit fee calculator is available at https://henrico.us/bldg/fees/fee-calculator-commercial/.
Existing one- and two- family dwellings: $100 for the first $5000 of estimated cost + $6 per additional $1000 or fraction thereof. In addition to the permit fee, there is a 2% state levy. The total fee owed at the time of application is the permit fee plus the state levy (permit fee times .02). A permit fee calculator is available at https://henrico.us/bldg/fees/fee-calculator-residential/.
New one- and two- family dwellings (flat fee): $100 + 2.00 (2% state levy) = $102.00
When is a fire protection system permit needed?*
- First time installation of any fire protection system device or equipment
- Replacement of any fire protection system device or equipment
*This is not a comprehensive list. Please call the Department of Building Construction and Inspections at (804) 501-4360 with any questions.