Instructions for Filing Petition to Celebrate the Rights of Marriage
A civil celebrant is a person authorized by the Circuit Court to perform and officiate a legal marriage ceremony.
*See Virginia Code Sections 20-25 and 32.1-267
- You must be a Henrico County resident
- You need a copy of your driver’s license with a Henrico address and/or other proof of address
- There is a $56 filing fee (cash, check, money order or Visa/Mastercard credit/debit card). A 2% convenience fee will be applied to any credit/ debit card transactions
- You should apply at least 4 to 6 weeks prior to the wedding ceremony
- Once the Petition is granted and the Order is signed by the Judge, a clerk will call you to make an appointment for you to appear and post the $500.00 bond (payable by cash or check only). Once that is done, the clerk will explain how to complete the marriage license and obtain a refund of your bond