Citizens and Senior Citizens Police Academy
Ever wonder what it’s like to be the person behind the badge? Apply to one of our Citizen Police Academies and find out!
Henrico Police hosts its Citizens Police Academy and Senior Citizens Police Academy twice each year in spring and fall.
When you attend one of our academies, you’ll experience some of the same training our police and communications recruits receive, including:
- Meet the Police Command Staff and hear how they manage the business side of law enforcement and Internal Affairs.
- Hear engaging stories from detectives, Communications officers, and officers from the Canine Unit.
- Discover the science of Crash Investigations, Forensic Investigations, and the Automated Fingerprint Identification System (AFIS.)
- Gain valuable knowledge about crime prevention.
- Technology Enhanced Modern Policing Operations (TEMPO)
- Meet new people and make new friends while having fun!
You’ll have the opportunity to experience unique, hands-on training activities, meet Division staff members and officers, and see live demonstrations. Academies may also feature guest speakers who will discuss topics such as Severe Weather Preparedness, Consumer Protection, Con & Fraud Prevention, in addition to other topics of interest.
Class and Registration Information
|Citizens Police Academy||Senior Citizens Police Academy|
We also offer Youth Police Academy every summer.
How to Apply
To apply for the Citizens Police Academy or Senior Citizens Police Academy, complete and submit an application. Applications must be received by the posted application deadline. Application deadline announcements for all academies will be posted here as well as on Henrico Police Facebook and Twitter pages.
The Academy is free and open to:
• Citizens 18 years of age and older
• Senior Citizens 55 years of age and older
• Henrico Citizens
• Employees of Henrico County
• Immediate family of Division members
• Division Volunteers
• You must be able to pass a criminal history and DMV check as part of the application process for the Citizens Academy.
After completing the Citizens Academy, continue as an ambassador for the Division through the Citizens Police Academy Alumni Association. Senior Citizen Academy graduates may continue as ambassadors for the Division through the SALT (Seniors And Law Enforcement Together) – Triad program, and graduates of the Youth Academy may continue as ambassadors for the Division through the Public Safety Cadets Program. We also welcome graduates from all academies to apply for our volunteer program.