Business Watch Program
The mission of Henrico’s Business Watch is to promote the exchange of crime and safety information between Henrico Police and the business community for a safer Henrico County. By working together we can reduce crime in and around the workplace.
Henrico Business Watch 101
Business Watch is a free, county-wide program modeled after the highly successful Neighborhood Watch program. It establishes a formal communications network among businesses in specified areas and allows Henrico Police to notify business members of potential crime and current crime trends more efficiently. Members also receive free workplace safety and crime prevention trainings, as well as a quarterly newsletter detailing crime trends and prevention techniques.
Through this partnership, we work together to:
- Introduce and implement crime prevention strategies and technology
- Develop and maintain a safe and secure work environment
- Address workplace safety issues unique to individual businesses
- Resolve crime-related issues involving businesses
- Train business owners and employees on how to recognize crime risks
- Train owners and employees on how to reduce, remove and respond to risks
- Train owners and employees on how to report crimes effectively
Benefits of Business Watch Membership
Participating in a Business Watch program is an important step toward a safer environment for yourself, your employees, your customers—and your community as a whole. In addition to reducing crime, Business Watch offers many other benefits, including opportunities to:
- Network with other area businesses
- Foster a good working rapport with area law enforcement
- Offer employee training and education
- Garner publicity and community goodwill for your establishment
CRIME PREVENTION TRAININGS
The Community Services Section of the Henrico County Police Division offers a number of free trainings for members of the Business Watch program, including:
- Employee Safety Guidelines
- Workplace Violence Prevention Guidelines
- Responding to Domestic Violence in the Workplace
- Critical Incident Management Guidelines
- Robbery Prevention and Response Guidelines
- Shoplifting Prevention and Response Guidelines
- Check and Credit Card Fraud Response Guidelines
- CPTED and Safer by Design Guidelines
- Drug Awareness in the Workplace
How to Receive this Service
Joining & Membership Requirements
Becoming a member of Henrico Business Watch is simple and all Henrico businesses are eligible to participate in the program. To maintain membership, business owners simply must update their contact information with the Division’s Crime Prevention Unit annually.
Also, if you have not done so already, please register your commercial alarm system with the Division’s Emergency Communications Center (911).
How to Apply for Membership
Call the Crime Prevention Unit at (804) 501-4838 during normal business hours.