Become an Election Official in Henrico County
The Henrico County Electoral Board is responsible for conducting elections in our county. The County of Henrico currently operates 92 voting precincts. Approximately 1,100 election officials serve during each election held in the county representing the Democratic and Republican parties. Election officials must provide their own transportation to and from the polls on election day.
How to Receive this Service
To become an Election Official in Henrico County, you must:
- Be a United States citizen
- Be a resident of the Commonwealth of Virginia
- Be 18 years old by the next general election
- Have had your voting rights restored if you have ever been convicted of a felony
- Have had your capacity restored if you have ever been declared mentally incapacitated in a Circuit Court.
Those appointed must be:
- Qualified voter of the Commonwealth of Virginia
- Commited to the electoral process
- Available to serve the entire time the polls are open on election day.
Hours to Work: 5.00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m.
- The polls are open from 6.00 a.m. to 7.00 p.m.
- All election official must report to the polls at 5:00 a.m. and remain until results are reported to the Henrico County Electoral Board after the polls close at 7:00 p.m.
Where to Work:
- Every effort is made to assign election officials to a polling place in which they vote or as close to their home as possible.
- Base pay for services as an election official of Henrico County starts from $150.00 to $200.00 per election according to job titles.
- Pay rate depends on position fulfilled.
- Election officials may be required to attend instructional training prior to each election to receive the most up-to-date information available to assist them in their duties at the polls.
- Training sessions are held two weeks prior to each election.Operations staff will schedule you to attend a convenient training session in your area.
- Setting up and closing the polls
- Demonstrating voting equipment
- Issuing ballots to voter
- Overseeing election procedures to ensure a fair and impartial election
- Assisting in certifying the number of votes cast at the precinct