Project Status: Underway - Right of Way Acquisition
Estimated Cost: $22.5 Million total
Start Date: October 2023
Estimated End Date: November 2024
Magisterial District: Fairfield
The County of Henrico will be constructing accommodations to increase safety for vehicles as well as pedestrian access and connectivity. The following improvements will be constructed, including:
- The project will widen Richmond-Henrico Turnpike from the intersection of Laburnum Avenue north to the Hummingbird Lane.
- The existing 2-lane, undivided roadway will be improved to a four-lane, divided roadway with a 16-foot raised median.
- A sidewalk will be constructed along the west side of Richmond-Henrico Turnpike and a lighted shared-use path will be added along the east side.
- These pedestrian and bicycle amenities will provide direct access to Laburnum Elementary School and enhanced access to the Henrico High School. The project also includes replacement of an existing drainage pipes south of Lark Drive.
- Design is anticipated to be complete June 2023.
- Right-of-way anticipated completion October 2022.
- Utility relocation is anticipated to begin October 2022 and completed by July 2023.
- Advertisement for construction is anticipated July 2023.
- Construction is anticipated October 2023.
- Project completion is anticipated November 2024.
Progress to Date
- A design and location public hearing was held to discuss the Richmond-Henrico Turnpike Improvements on October 21, 2020.
- A Citizen Information Meeting for the Richmond-Henrico Turnpike Improvements project was held November 13, 2019. More information can be found on our calendar.
- A Citizen Information Meeting for the Richmond-Henrico Turnpike Improvements project was held June 4, 2019.