Project Status: Underway - Right of Way Acquisition
Estimated Cost: $22.5 Million total
Start Date: April 2023
Estimated End Date: April 2025
Magisterial District: Fairfield
The County of Henrico will be constructing accommodations to increase safety for vehicles as well as pedestrian access and connectivity. The following improvements will be constructed, including:
- The project will widen Richmond-Henrico Turnpike from the intersection of Laburnum Avenue north to the Hummingbird Lane.
- The existing 2-lane, undivided roadway will be improved to a four-lane, divided roadway with a 16-foot raised median.
- A sidewalk will be constructed along the west side of Richmond-Henrico Turnpike and a lighted shared-use path will be added along the east side.
- These pedestrian and bicycle amenities will provide direct access to Laburnum Elementary School and enhanced access to the Henrico High School. The project also includes replacement of an existing drainage pipes south of Lark Drive.
- Design is underway.
- Right-of-way acquisition is underway.
- Utility relocation is anticipated October 2022.
- Advertisement for construction is anticipated November 2022.
- Construction is anticipated April 2023.
- Project completion is anticipated April 2025.
Progress to Date
- A design and location public hearing was held to discuss the Richmond-Henrico Turnpike Improvements on October 21, 2020.
- A Citizen Information Meeting for the Richmond-Henrico Turnpike Improvements project was held November 13, 2019. More information can be found on our calendar.
- A Citizen Information Meeting for the Richmond-Henrico Turnpike Improvements project was held June 4, 2019.