Project Status: Underway - Design
Estimated Cost: $30 Million total
Start Date: April 2023
Estimated End Date: April 2025
Magisterial District: Fairfield
The County of Henrico will be widening Richmond-Henrico Turnpike from the intersection of Laburnum Avenue to approximately 0.7 miles north of Azalea Avenue from 2 lanes to 4 lanes with sidewalks, shared use path, and signal upgrades.
The project will widen Richmond-Henrico Turnpike from the intersection of Laburnum Avenue north to the Buckingham Branch RR, located approximately 0.7 miles north of Azalea Avenue. The existing 2-lane, undivided roadway will be improved to a four-lane, divided roadway with a 16-foot raised median. A sidewalk will be constructed along the west side of Richmond-Henrico Turnpike and a shared-use path will be added along the east side. These pedestrian and bicycle amenities will provide direct access to Laburnum Elementary School and enhanced access to Henrico High School The project also includes replacement of an existing box culvert in poor condition, south of Lark Drive.
- Design is underway
- Public Hearing is anticipated in September 2020
- Right-of-way acquisition is anticipated July 2021
- Utility relocation is anticipated to begin in October 2022
- Advertisement for construction is anticipated in November 2022
- Construction is anticipated to begin April 2023
- Project completion is anticipated in April 2025
Progress to Date
- A design and location public hearing was held to discuss the Richmond-Henrico Turnpike Improvements on October 21, 2020.
- A Citizen Information Meeting for the Richmond-Henrico Turnpike Improvements project was held November 13, 2019. More information can be found on our calendar.
- A Citizen Information Meeting for the Richmond-Henrico Turnpike Improvements project was held June 4, 2019.