Richmond-Henrico Turnpike Improvements – South
Project Status: Underway
Estimated Cost: $29,679,000
Start Date: February 2025
Estimated End Date: November 2025
Magisterial District: Fairfield
The County of Henrico will be constructing accommodations to increase safety for vehicles as well as pedestrian access and connectivity. The following improvements will be constructed, including:
- The project will widen Richmond-Henrico Turnpike from the intersection of Laburnum Avenue north to the Hummingbird Lane.
- The existing 2-lane, undivided roadway will be improved to a four-lane, divided roadway with a 16-foot raised median.
- A sidewalk will be constructed along the west side of Richmond-Henrico Turnpike and a lighted shared-use path will be added along the east side.
- These pedestrian and bicycle amenities will provide direct access to Laburnum Elementary School and enhanced access to the Henrico High School. The project also includes replacement of an existing drainage pipes south of Lark Drive.
- Design is anticipated to be complete June 2023.
- Right-of-way is complete.
- Utility relocation is anticipated to begin October 2022 and completed by February 2023.
- Advertisement for construction is anticipated June 2023.
- Construction is anticipated to start September 2024.
- Project completion is anticipate June 2025.
Progress to Date
- A design and location public hearing was held to discuss the Richmond-Henrico Turnpike Improvements on October 21, 2020.
- A Citizen Information Meeting for the Richmond-Henrico Turnpike Improvements project was held November 13, 2019. More information can be found on our calendar.
- A Citizen Information Meeting for the Richmond-Henrico Turnpike Improvements project was held June 4, 2019.