Watch Your Step! is a public-awareness campaign to promote safer streets for everyone.
Vehicle crashes involving pedestrians and bicyclists are on the rise, leading to often serious or fatal injuries. The problem is occurring across the country and throughout Virginia.
IN 2020, HENRICO COUNTY HAD:
70 CRASHES INVOLVING PEDESTRIANS RESULTING IN 8 FATALITIES, AND
23 CRASHES INVOLVING BICYCLISTS RESULTING IN ZERO FATALITIES
Whether you’re traveling by car, bike, bus or foot, remain alert and avoid distractions, including mobile phones, headphones and other devices.
- Stay alert and obey all traffic laws
- Slow down around pedestrians and bicyclists, including at crosswalks and in areas where parked cars may obstruct views
- Leave at least 3 feet of space to the left of bicyclists when passing or overtaking them
WALKERS & RUNNERS
- Use sidewalks and crosswalks where they are available
- Walk or run facing traffic if sidewalks are not available
- Assume drivers can’t see you, especially at night
- Wear bright or reflective clothing and walk in well-lit areas away from parked cars and other obstacles
- Follow the rules of the road as if you were a motorist, as required by Virginia law
- Wear a helmet and bright or reflective clothing
- Be predictable, use proper hand signals and avoid sudden movements
- Use front and rear lights at night, as required by Virginia law