Traffic patterns will temporarily be altered on roads around Richmond Raceway on Friday, April 20 and Saturday, April 21, 2018, to accommodate fans attending the NASCAR races.
Motorists are advised to expect heavy traffic and delays in the area on both days, especially on Saturday before and after the race from 8:00 a.m. to 7:30 p.m. and from 9:30 p.m. to 2:00 a.m.
Henrico Police officers will direct motorists before and after the races. Race fans and other motorists are encouraged to check traffic updates on message boards along interstates and other roads approaching the raceway. WRVA-1140 AM will broadcast traffic reports. Updates will also be posted on the Police Division’s Twitter account @henricopolice and Henrico Police Facebook site.
The following traffic patterns will be in effect Saturday, April 21 during peak hours:
- Carolina Avenue between Laburnum and Azalea avenues will be one-way outbound after the race. Access to businesses along Carolina Avenue will be maintained from Laburnum Avenue.
- Richmond-Henrico Turnpike/Meadowbridge Road from the Henrico/Hanover county line to Azalea Avenue will be one-way southbound from about 1:00 p.m. until the race starts. Sections of Meadowbridge Road farther north in Hanover County will continue to accommodate two-way northbound and southbound traffic at all times.
- After the race, Laburnum Avenue from Carolina Avenue to Mechanicsville Turnpike will be one-way eastbound. Eastbound Laburnum Avenue from Richmond-Henrico Turnpike/Meadowbridge Road to Carolina Avenue will be closed until race traffic disperses. Two-way traffic will be maintained on Laburnum Avenue west of Richmond-Henrico Turnpike/Meadowbridge Road.
- After the race, beginning at approximately 10:00 p.m., Richmond-Henrico Turnpike/Meadowbridge Road north of Azalea Avenue will be one-way northbound to Atlee Road in Hanover County. Richmond-Henrico Turnpike/Meadowbridge Road will be restored to two-way traffic when race traffic disperses.
- After the race, three lanes of Azalea Avenue from Richmond-Henrico Turnpike/Meadowbridge Road to Henrico High School will be routed westbound; one lane will be routed eastbound. This change will require all median crossovers on Azalea Avenue from Richmond-Henrico Turnpike/Meadowbridge Road to Henrico High School to be closed from about 10:00 p.m. until race traffic disperses. Police will assist motorists turning from Azalea Avenue onto Thrush Lane and Pony Farm Drive.
- On-street parking on major routes to the raceway will be prohibited each day.
- There are no changes to general parking from last year’s races.
- The quickest and easiest way to access FREE parking at Richmond Raceway on Saturday at any time is through Meadowbridge Road. While there are several free parking areas near the raceway, Lot H has the easiest access from/to the interstate. There is a FREE tram service from Lot H to the backstretch that runs continually starting at 7:00 a.m. through post-race.
- There is no longer a shuttle service from downtown. However, there are over 800 acres of free parking on site.
- Lyft and Uber will enter Gate 4, pick-up/drop-off, and exit Gate 5.
- Please note Gate 6 on Carolina Avenue and Gate 2 on Laburnum Avenue are designated as permit-only entry gates. If you do not have a permit, you will need to access Lot D via Gate 4 for FREE parking (first come, first serve).
- There is no public parking in Gate 10.
For information on getting to the track and parking directions, please visit Richmond Raceway’s webpage at http://www.richmondraceway.com/Guests/Parking-Info.aspx