Traffic patterns will temporarily be altered on roads around Richmond International Raceway (RIR) on Saturday, April 29 and Sunday, April 30, 2017, to accommodate fans attending the NASCAR races.
Motorists are advised to expect heavy traffic and delays in the area on both days, especially on Sunday before and after the race from 7:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. and from 3:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m.
Henrico Police officers will direct motorists before and after the races. Race fans and other motorists are encouraged to check traffic updates on message boards along interstates and other roads approaching RIR. WRVA-1140 AM will broadcast traffic reports. Updates will also be posted on the Division’s Twitter account @henricopolice and the Division’s Facebook site.
The following traffic patterns will be in effect Sunday, April 30 during peak hours:
- Carolina Avenue between Laburnum and Azalea avenues will be one-way outbound after the race. Access to businesses along Carolina Avenue will be maintained from Laburnum Avenue.
- Richmond-Henrico Turnpike/Meadowbridge Road from the Henrico/Hanover county line to Azalea Avenue will be one-way southbound from about 8:00 a.m., until the race starts. Sections of Meadowbridge Road farther north in Hanover County will continue to accommodate two-way northbound and southbound traffic at all times.
- After the race, Laburnum Avenue from Carolina Avenue to Mechanicsville Turnpike will be one-way eastbound. Eastbound Laburnum Avenue from Richmond-Henrico Turnpike/Meadowbridge Road to Carolina Avenue will be closed until race traffic disperses. Two-way traffic will be maintained on Laburnum Avenue west of Richmond-Henrico Turnpike/Meadowbridge Road.
- After the race, at approximately 3:00 p.m., Richmond-Henrico Turnpike/Meadowbridge Road north of Azalea Avenue will be one-way northbound to Atlee Road in Hanover County. Richmond-Henrico Turnpike/Meadowbridge Road will be restored to two-way traffic when race traffic disperses.
- After the race, three lanes of Azalea Avenue from Richmond-Henrico Turnpike/Meadowbridge Road to Henrico High School will be routed westbound; one lane will be routed eastbound. This change will require all median crossovers on Azalea Avenue from Richmond-Henrico Turnpike/Meadowbridge Road to Henrico High School to be closed from about 3:00 p.m. until race traffic disperses. Police will assist motorists turning from Azalea Avenue onto Thrush Lane and Pony Farm Drive.
On-street parking on major routes to RIR will be prohibited each day.
There are changes to general parking for the 2017 season:
- There is no longer a shuttle service from downtown. However, there are over 800 acres of free parking on site along with Uber and Lyft drop-off and pick-up locations
- The quickest and easiest way to access FREE parking at RIR at any time is through Meadowbridge Road. While there are several free parking areas near RIR, Lot H has the easiest access from/to the interstate. There is a FREE tram service from Lot H to the backstretch that runs continually starting at 7:00 a.m. through post-race.
- Please note Gate 6 on Carolina Avenue and Gate 2 on Laburnum Avenue are designated as permit-only entry gates. If you do not have a permit, you will need to access Lot D via Gate 4 for FREE parking (first come, first serve).
For information on getting to the track and parking directions, please visit Richmond International Raceway’s webpage at http://www.rir.com/Guest-Info/Parking.aspx