Motorists should expect heavy traffic around raceway complex
The NASCAR races at Richmond International Raceway will shift to daytime hours Saturday and Sunday, April 23-24. On Saturday, the ToyotaCare 250 will hold its first heat starting at 12:30 p.m., followed by the main race at 1:45 p.m. On Sunday, the Toyota Owners 400 will get underway at 1 p.m.
Motorists are advised to expect heavy traffic and delays in the area on both days, especially on Sunday before and after the race from 7 a.m. to 1 p.m. and from 3 p.m. to 7 p.m.
Henrico Police officers will direct motorists before and after the races. Race fans and other motorists are encouraged to check traffic updates on message boards along interstates and other roads approaching RIR. WRVA-1140 AM will broadcast traffic reports. Updates will also be posted on the Division’s Twitter account @henricopolice and the Division’s Facebook site.
The following traffic patterns will be in effect Sunday, April 24 during peak hours:
- Carolina Avenue between Laburnum and Azalea avenues will be one-way outbound after the race. Access to businesses along Carolina Avenue will be maintained from Laburnum Avenue.
- Richmond-Henrico Turnpike/Meadowbridge Road from the Henrico/Hanover county line to Azalea Avenue will be one-way southbound from about 8 a.m. until the race starts. Sections of Meadowbridge Road farther north in Hanover County will continue to accommodate two-way northbound and southbound traffic at all times.
- After the race, Laburnum Avenue from Carolina Avenue to Mechanicsville Turnpike will be one-way eastbound. Eastbound Laburnum Avenue from Richmond-Henrico Turnpike/Meadowbridge Road to Carolina Avenue will be closed until race traffic disperses. Two-way traffic will be maintained on Laburnum Avenue west of Richmond-Henrico Turnpike/Meadowbridge Road.
- After the race, beginning at about 3 p.m., Richmond-Henrico Turnpike/Meadowbridge Road north of Azalea Avenue will be one-way northbound to Atlee Road in Hanover County. Richmond-Henrico Turnpike/Meadowbridge Road will be restored to two-way traffic when race traffic disperses.
- After the race, three lanes of Azalea Avenue from Richmond-Henrico Turnpike/Meadowbridge Road to Henrico High School will be routed westbound; one lane will be routed eastbound. This change will require all median crossovers on Azalea Avenue from Richmond-Henrico Turnpike/Meadowbridge Road to Henrico High School to be closed from about 10 p.m. until race traffic disperses. Police will assist motorists turning from Azalea Avenue onto Thrush Lane and Pony Farm Drive.
While the traffic modifications are in effect, median crossovers on Laburnum Avenue will be closed from North Avenue to Mechanicsville Turnpike, except at Alma Avenue, Pilots Lane and Austin Avenue. Only right turns will be permitted to and from Laburnum Avenue. Police will be at these intersections before and after the race to assist motorists turning onto or crossing Laburnum Avenue.
On-street parking on major routes to RIR will be prohibited each day. Parking will be available on Sunday, April 24 at the Richmond Coliseum parking deck at 501 N. Seventh Street in downtown Richmond. Standard parking rates apply. Free shuttle bus service to and from RIR will begin at 8 a.m.
Changes to General Parking for the 2016 season:
- The quickest and easiest way to access FREE parking at RIR at any time is through Meadowbridge Road. While there are several free parking areas near RIR, Lot H has the easiest access from/to the interstate. And we offer a FREE tram service from Lot H to the backstretch that runs continually starting at 7 a.m. through post-race.
- Gate 6 on Carolina Avenue and ALL gates on Laburnum Avenue (Gate 2, Gate 4) are designated as permit-only entry gates. Lot D is now a permit-only lot. There is NO general parking in Lot D. If you do not have a permit, you will be directed to the nearest free parking area.
For information on getting to the track and parking directions, visit Richmond International Raceway at http://www.rir.com/Guest-Info/Parking.aspx