Henrico Employment and Day Services offers a continuum of services that meet a wide range of needs and desires for both individuals and employers.
- All Services are accredited by CARF International
- All Day and Community Engagement Services are Licensed by the Virginia Department of Behavioral Health and Developmental Services (DBHDS)
- All Employment programs are a vender of the Department of Aging and Rehabilitative Services (DARS)
- Hermitage Enterprises is certified as an Organic Facility
- Cypress Enterprises serves Charles City and New Kent County residents Hermitage Enterprises serves Henrico County residents.
INDIVIDUAL SUPPORTED EMPLOYMENT
- Assesses with individuals their skills and interest in employment
- Assists in locating, applying, interviewing and maintaining employment
- Work in the community at the employers site, individual is hired as an employee by the business
- Minimum wage or higher – paid at the rate of any other employee doing that job
- Benefits, job sites, job hours, days of work and salary are determined with the employee and the employer
- Employment Specialist provides support with training, on-boarding activities, ongoing follow along, all based on the need of the individual. Specialist is not on site 100% after training.
GROUP EMPLOYMENT – long-term or MOBILE WORK CREWS
- Work is in the community at an employers work site.
- 3 to 6 individuals work with a training specialist on-site providing supports to the individuals
- Wages minimum wage or higher; hours and days vary based on employer need
- Individuals receive their paycheck either from Henrico County or from the employer, depending on the site.
- Type of work varies from production to quality control.
- Schedules are generally Monday through Friday, although it may vary based on the employer’s requests.
GROUP DAY SERVICES
Including EMPLOYMENT AT Hermitage/Cypress
Contract work is performed at one of our centers – Hermitage Enterprises or Cypress Enterprises
- Wages are paid based on competitive rates and are
generally paid on a piece-rate basis. Some work is paid at an hourly rate.
- Work may vary according to availability of work; ratios never more than 7 individuals per 1 staff member; ratios may vary depending on the individual and the activities
- Emphasis is on improving work skills and increasing level of independence.
- When work is unavailable, other habilitation skills will be targeted including soft work skills, exercise, increasing stamina or motor skills, leisure activities or other activities.
- Community integration is a large part of the setting. Activities may occur daily and include general leisure, volunteering at community settings, participation in local events; working on mobile crews; general activities as identified in each person’s individual plan.
- At Hermitage, there are two programs to choose from: the larger Vocational unit or the smaller STEP program. Both offer similar services with differences in ratios and overall environment
- Schedule is Monday through Friday.
COMMUNITY ENGAGEMENT SERVICES
This is a companion service for most individuals along with their Group Day Services.
- These services occur in the community, not in the center
- The actual activities varies for each individual based on the person centered plan
- Activities may include volunteer work, leisure activities or participation in other events
- Ratios for these activities are never more than 3 individuals to 1 staff member
- There is generally a relationship building component to these engagement services.
- Hours will vary based on the individual and their plan, needs and interests
LIFE ENRICHMENT PROGRAM FOR THOSE AGING WITH DEVELOPMENTAL DISABILITIES
Group Day and Community Engagement services are offered in a specialized environment for those who are aging and/or showing symptoms of dementia or Alzheimers.
Work is available if it is desired by the individual.
Activities are targeted for memory recovery, maintaining fine and gross motor skills and engaging the senses.
This program also serves those of retirement age who have decided leisure time is more important than employment.
This program won a Va Association of Counties and a National Association of Counties Award for Excellence in 2019.
SERVICES FOR THOSE 18-24 YEARS OLD
This is a companion service for individuals with their Group Day Services.
For those under age 24, the law prohibits the payment of sub-minimum piece rate until certain criteria are met. For those who attend and do not meet the criteria, there are special activities planned to assist the individuals in understanding and exploring work options in the community. They may only work in the community at mobile sites but not in the center based work activities. Volunteer sites are offered with the intent to learn job skills needed to move into community employment.