Elizabeth Holladay Elementary School is named for Miss Elizabeth Jane Holladay, a pioneer teacher who started the first public school in the Glen Allen area of Henrico at her home in 1886. In 1899 the original one-room Glen Allen School was built. ” Miss Lizzie” continued to teach until 1901 and tutored for much of the remainder of her life. Click this link to learn more about her and visit the Henrico elementary school named in her honor.
Painting by Mrs. Ann Blanton Pritchett courtesy Holladay family and Henrico Public Schools.