America Saves Week 2019 Daily Savings Focus
We encourage you to learn about these savings strategies and themes each day during America Saves Week:
Monday, February 25: Save With a Plan
- Savers with a plan can be over twice as likely to save successfully for things like retirement and their education. Start your savings habit during America Saves week by creating a simple savings plan when you take the America Saves Pledge for a chance to win up to $750.
Tuesday, February 26: Save the easy way…automatically
- Never miss a beat when it comes to savings. Make it so easy you never have to think about it by setting aside money for savings automatically. Learn how to set up automatic transfers from your checking account to your savings account, or have part of your paycheck automatically deposited into a savings account. Already saving automatically? Find ways to automate other aspects of your financial life in 2019.
Wednesday, February 27: Save for the unexpected
- That day you blew a tire. The time your dishwasher overflowed. That vacation when your child got sick far from home and the doctor wouldn’t take your insurance. We all have those unexpected events in life that can lead to financial stress, but it doesn’t have to be that way. Putting aside a few dollars a week into a savings account for unexpected costs can build financial security – and relieve a lot of anxiety! Saving for the unexpected starts with small, regularly scheduled contributions that build up over time.
Thursday, February 28: Save to retire
- Studies show few Americans have adequate savings for retirement but it’s never too late – or too early – to start saving. Saving now for retirement will help ensure you have enough money to enjoy a comfortable standard of living when you stop working. Participate in a work-related retirement program such as a 401(k) or open an Individual Retirement Account (or IRA). Already saving for retirement? Try increasing the amount you save by 1 percent each year.
Friday, March 1: Save the extra
- Did you know you’re more likely to save a windfall than a small amount consistently over time? Hack that psychology by saving your bonuses, raises, and tax refunds. This tax season, get ahead of your financial goals by depositing at least $50 of your refund into a savings account. If you do, you’ll also be eligible to win one of over 100 prizes up to $10,000 by entering SaveYourRefund!
Saturday, March 2: Save as a family
- Good savings habits start at home. Model good financial habits for your children by saving money from your paycheck, delaying purchases until you can afford them, avoiding whim purchases, and establishing a monthly budget. Teach your children to do the same and help them open their own savings accounts. They love seeing their money grow!