Homeowner’s Enhancement Guide
The County of Henrico is dedicated to preserving and revitalizing its mature neighborhoods and developed the Homeowner’s Enhancement Guide as a means to help property owners envision an improved and more comfortable home for the future. The guide is a how-to handbook intended for homeowners and prospective purchasers of older homes, which may be in need of modernization and enhancement. Elements of the guide are of value for newer homes as well. The guide provides homeowner’s with a number of ideas and tools to modernize and enhance their homes and property. Think of the guide as an owner’s manual for your home. It can help you accomplish:
- improved home and site maintenance
- increasing the curb appeal of your house and yard
- making your property more energy and water efficient
- incorporating universal design (handicap accessibility) ideas that may help you stay in your house as you age
- planning for new landscaping
- planning an addition
- building an appropriate new house in a mature neighborhood
- picking a contractor and guidance to help the project run as smoothly as possible
- financing your project
The guide is organized in two ways. For improvements that are specific to the style of the house, there are individual chapters for the most popular styles found in the county: Ranch, Cape Cod, Split Level, Colonial Revival and Bungalow. For enhancements that are applicable to any style of house, the chapters are arranged by subject and include: Making the Most of Your Yard, New Houses in the Neighborhoods, Going Green, Aging in Place and Organizing Your Project: Planning, Financing and Working with Contractors. The Appendices also contain a wealth of valuable resource and reference material including a series of checklists for seasonal maintenance.
If your Henrico-based organization would like a presentation on this topic, please contact the Department of Community Revitalization at 501-7616.
Homeowner’s Enhancement Guide Chapters (PDF)
- COMPLETE Homeowner’s Enhancement Guide (large file)
- Cover, Acknowledgements, Table of Contents
- Chapter 1 – Introduction
- Chapter 2 – The Ranch
- Chapter 3 – The Cape Cod
- Chapter 4 – The Split Level
- Chapter 5 – The Colonial Revival
- Chapter 6 – The Bungalow
- Chapter 7 – Making the Most of Your Yard
- Chapter 8 – New Houses in the Neighborhoods
- Chapter 9 – Going Green: Save Energy, Water and Money!
- Chapter 10 – Aging in Place
- Chapter 11 – Organizing Your Project: Planning, Funding and Working with Contractors
Hard copies of the Homeowner’s Enhancement Guide are available for purchase, at a cost of $10.00 per copy, at the following locations:
- Department of Community Revitalization
4062 Crockett Street
Henrico, VA 23228
- The Permit Center- Eastern Government Center
3820 Nine Mile Road
Henrico, VA 23223
- The Permit Center- Western Government Center
4301 East Parham Road
Henrico, VA 23228
- 10 Branch Libraries- http://www.henricolibrary.org/Libs/locations.html
If you would like a hard copy mailed to you, there is an additional $5.00 shipping charge. Please send your $15 payment to:
County of Henrico
Department of Community Revitalization
P.O. Box 90775
Henrico, VA 23273
Checks should be made payable to the County of Henrico. Please note that the payment is for a copy of the Homeowner’s Enhancement Guide.
Share Your Project With Us!
If you have recently completed a renovation, addition, or other enhancement to your home, please send us before and after photos of your project and brief description. Selected projects will be posted on our website! Email photos and description to: email@example.com
Reinvest: Residential Investment Tax Abatement Program
Improvements made to your home may be eligible for Real Estate Tax abatement.
Reinvest is the County’s partial tax exemption program for residential real estate. Read more.