- Must be 21 years of age by academy start date
- High School Graduate/GED
- Must possess a valid Virginia Operator’s License by date of hire
- Must be a United States Citizen to participate in applicant process
- Vision minimum 20/100 correctable to 20/40 in both eyes
- Must be able to pass a series of color blindness tests
No application for the position of POLICE OFFICER will be considered if there is an indication of any of the following:
- Conviction of any felony.Illegal use of any Schedule I, II, or III drugs.
- Criminal activity, which is of a serious nature, reflects moral turpitude, or indicates a tendency to disregard the law.
- Conviction of a domestic assault.
- No prolonged use or recent use of Marijuana (within 24 month period).
- An extensive history of traffic violations (accumulation of no more than 6 penalty points within the past 12 months).
- Continual or unexplained poor financial responsibilities.
Also, an applicant may be eliminated from further consideration, on a case by case basis, for either of the following reasons:
- Unlawful use of anabolic steroids.
- Conviction of DUI or DUI-related offense.
In addition, an applicant may be eliminated from further consideration for any of the following reasons:
- Substance abuse (legal or illegal substances).
- Commission of undetected crimes of a serious or repetitive nature.
- Any behavior that would bring discredit to the Henrico County Police Division.
Duties and Responsibilities
Police officers perform a variety of law enforcement duties that may vary depending upon assignment within the Police Division. In discharging responsibilities, the police officer must exercise sound judgment in emergencies and must apply his/her knowledge of policing techniques and practices and federal, state, and local laws while protecting lives and property. Duties may include but are not limited to: patrols specific area in a police vehicle; arrest, process, and escort of prisoners to jail; issue summonses and warnings for traffic violations; maintains crowd and traffic control as needed; properly prepare and present court cases; administer first aid treatment as needed; investigate suspicious activities, drug and narcotic offenses, and other criminal activities; performs related work as assigned.
The Henrico County Police Division is a progressive police agency encompassing not only the traditional uniformed patrol officer function, but also having specialized positions such as: Aviation Unit – Forensic Unit – Marine Unit – Criminal Investigations Section – Narcotics Unit – PEAK (Police Educators, And Kids)/School Resource Officers Unit – Community Services Section – Motorcycle Unit – K-9 Unit – Vehicle Crash Team – Tactical Team – Intelligence Unit – Covert Operations Unit – Strike Force – Task Force – (and more).
Although individuals with minimum qualifications may apply, only those with the greatest job related experience, education, qualifications, and brightest background history will be selected.