Following are some of the most frequently asked questions of the Henrico County Police Division.

Can I report a crime over the Internet?   No. You will need to call our non-emergency number, 501-5000, if there is no immediate danger or threat. Dial 911 if you have an emergency. If remaining anonymous is a concern for crime reporting, you are encouraged to call CrimeStoppers at (804)780-1000. There is no Caller-ID or any other tracing equipment on the CrimeStoppers phone.

Where can I get information about sex offenders in Henrico County? Visit the Virginia State Police Sex Offender and Crimes Against Minors Registry. Henrico does not maintain a separate registry or listing of sex offenders.

I believe I may be a domestic violence victim.What can I do?

  • Call the police and make a report.
  • Inquire about a protective order.
  • Develop a plan to get yourself and your children to safety.
  • Call your local domestic violence program for help with developing your plan.
  • Ask for help from a trusted friend, co-worker, neighbor, or relative.
  • Join a support group.
  • Find a counselor that you can trust and openly talk with.

For more information about domestic violence, click here to visit our Domestic Violence web page.

How can I find out if Police is accepting employment applications for specific positions? An individual may call the Police Personnel Unit, (804)501-4801, or the Police Job Line 24 hours a day at (804)501-4927. You may also check our Facebook page and web page ( The Division accepts applications for the position of police officer at all times.

How do I obtain a concealed handgun permit? Application forms may be obtained from the Circuit Court Clerk’s Office in the Courts Building at the County Government complex at 4301 East Parham Road. The applicant files the application and pays a $50 fee in the Circuit Court Clerk’s Office. The Police Department will conduct a background investigation. Call (804)501-4202 for more information, or click here for information about concealed handguns permits.

How do I obtain a criminal warrant for someone? To obtain a criminal warrant you must appear, in person, before a magistrate. There is a magistrate on-duty 24 hours a day at the County Court complex on Parham Rd.

How do I file a complaint against an officer or Division member?  See: Compliments/Complaints

How do I formally compliment an officer or Division member?  See: Compliments/Complaints

How do I obtain various required permits, such as concealed handgun, taxi, etc. See: Fees and Services

How can I obtain a copy of my criminal record (or lack thereof) for employment purposes? See: Fees and Services

What other records can I obtain from the police? See: Fees and Services

How do I obtain a dog license? A dog license is required of all dogs over the age of four months and covers the calendar year starting in January. Dogs used to assist impaired persons (such as sight dogs) are exempt from licensing. The license fee is $10.00 and can be obtained at the main County offices at Parham and Hungary Spring Rds. You must show a current rabies certificate. For more information, click here.

Does the police department offer any kind of crime prevention/reduction service programs to the community? The Division offers the following programs for groups:

  • Child safety
  • Personal safety
  • Rape prevention
  • Armed robbery prevention and survival
  • Financial crime prevention
  • Neighborhood Watch
  • Business security
  • Traffic safety
  • Tours of the Public Safety building

Additionally, the Division provides information and services regarding home and business security to individual Henrico residents. Representatives will meet with you at your home or business to assist in making the premises more secure and a lesser target for crime.  You may obtain assistance with any of these issues by calling (804)501-4838.  For additional information see: Crime Prevention Services for Henrico Residents and Businesses

Can I hire an off duty officer to work a special event that I am having?

Yes. The scheduling of officers for off-duty work is handled through the Secondary Employment Unit. For additional information, click here.

How much can I drink and drive? ANY amount of alcohol consumed impairs a person’s ability to drive. The legal limit in Virginia is .08% of blood-alcohol content. How much alcohol it takes to reach this point varies depending on a person’s size, how much is consumed during a specific period of time, etc. There is no set rule for how much you can drink and be under the legal limit.

I have a residential alarm system. Do I have to report this to the Police? Yes, County Ordinance requires home owners to report this to Police. Usually the company that does the installation will provide the resident with a form to mail to Police. If you did not receive a form or have other questions call the Communications Section at (804)501-7133.

When do I have to obtain State and/or County vehicle licenses? You have 30 days from the time you become a legal resident to register your vehicle. Henrico does not require a County license.

How much over the speed limit do I have to go before I will get a speeding summons? Virginia law DOES NOT specify a specific amount over the speed limit. ANY speed above the posted limit is speeding.

Is it against the law to operate a vehicle while not wearing shoes? No – there is no such specific code in Virginia.

What happens if I refuse to sign a traffic summons? When you sign a traffic summons, you are only making a written promise to appear in court – it has nothing to do with guilt or innocence. If you refuse to sign and the offense carries a possible jail sentence, you will be arrested and carried before a magistrate who will determine if bond is warranted. If an officer cannot verify your identity, you may also be carried to a magistrate.

Can I drive my vehicle with an expired inspection or rejection sticker? You may drive a vehicle with an expired inspection sticker directly to an inspection station only if you have made an appointment to get it inspected. You may do the same with a rejection sticker; additionally, you may drive it to a shop for the purpose of having it repaired. You can however be charged with the equipment violation that caused it to be rejected. In either case you CANNOT operate the vehicle for other purposes (pleasure, going to work, etc.).

Do you sell or give away your shoulder patch? Division patches are the property of the County of Henrico, therefore, we do not sell patches, nor are we able to fulfill patch requests.

Is it against the law for persons to allow their dogs to run loose?
Henrico County Code of Ordinances, Section 5-29, describes “Unlawful acts; animals running at large”.  Follow this link to read that section of the code.

Dog License

Henrico County dog tags are issued as permanent tags. The numbered tag you receive at the time of purchase will be kept throughout the life of your dog unless it is lost, stolen or destroyed. When your dog’s rabies vaccine expires you will be paying to renew your permanent numbered tag. The license expiration will run concurrent with the rabies vaccine.

1 year or less $10.00
Multiyear $15.00

*The tag and license are not prorated, non-transferable and non-refundable

What happens to animals picked up while roaming free?

The Shelter’s adoption policy is first-come-first-served. We cannot hold any animal for anyone. The fee for adoption is $10.00 per animal for animals that are already spayed or neutered and $25 for animals that are intact.  An adoption contract has to be signed by the new owner, and the animal will have to be sterilized prior to the adoptive owner taking possession of their new pet.

If we pick up an animal and it is returned back to the owner, there is a pick up fee of $25.00 plus $10.00 per day board fee after the first 24 hours.

When an animal is picked up and brought to the shelter and it does not have any collar or ID, by law we are required to hold the animal five (5) full days. We hold it nine (9) full days, and it is available for adoption on the 9th day. If the animal bears a collar and no ID, by law we are required to hold the animal for 10 full days. We hold it 13 days and put it up for adoption on the 13th day.

To learn more about our Animal Protection Unit, click here.

Share This Page