Plan of Development Approval Process
Not all development projects in Henrico County require Plan of Development (POD) approval. The POD review process was implemented to insure that certain types of development meet the applicable requirements of the Zoning Ordinance, to state the specific additional requirements applicable to the development of certain uses, to prescribe standards for the preparation and submission of POD’s, to provide for a method of notifying adjacent property owners, to promote traffic safety and to protect to the quality of state waters.
All actions on POD’s are taken at public hearings. The Board of Supervisors act on all POD’s dealing with publicly-owned facilities while the Planning Commission acts on all other developments requiring a POD.
Where do I apply for POD review?
The Permit Center
County of Henrico
Administration Building in the Government Center
(Parham and Hungary Spring Roads)
What uses require POD approval?
- Construction involving land disturbing activities in excess of 2500 square feet.
- Any development when parking spaces are to be used by more than one establishment.
- Any development adjacent to or with entrances or exits from a four-lane street.
- Residential Townhouses for Sale (RTH).
- Multi-family dwellings.
- Hotels, hospitals and medical facilities, banks and savings and loan institutions, office buildings containing more than 5,000 square feet of floor area, automobile services stations, drive-in restaurants, airports, fairgrounds and amusement parks.
What do I need to apply for POD approval?
- Application form and check list completely filled out, with required signatures.
- Sufficient quantity of detailed site plans as stated on the application.
- Sufficient quantity of architectural elevations and floor plans as stated in the application.
- Filing Fee (determined based on the acreage of project).
BUT, before formally submitting the necessary documents for POD approval, it is suggested that you call of visit the Planning Department and review your proposal preliminarily with a member of staff to determine the particular requirements for your projects.
What procedure is required to obtain POD approval?
View the POD Process Flow Chart (.pdf format)
View the Revised POD Review Process (.pdf Format)