Who, What, When & Where
Who Can Apply for a Permit?
- Homeowner (with Property Owner Affidavit)
- Authorized Agent for the Homeowner (with Property Owner Affidavit)
- Licensed Contractor (must have a valid VA Contractor’s #)
When Can I Apply for a Permit?
- The Permit Center is open Monday through Friday from 8:00 am to 4:30 pm
- Building Permit documentation must be ready for review by 3:30 pm
- Sub-trade Permits (Electrical, Mechanical, Plumbing) are taken until 4:30 pm
What Can Be Walked Through?
Building Permits, limited to the following:
- One-Story Additions
- Porches, screened or open
- Sun rooms
- Sheds, greater than 256 square feet
- Swimming Pools / Pool Barriers (fences)
- Interior Alterations / Finish Off Space (attics, basements, etc.)
- Re-submittals on existing permits
- Sub-trade Permits (Electrical, Mechanical, Plumbing)
*Building Permits on properties that do not have access to public utilities must be reviewed by the Virginia Department of Health and may not be walked through.