Get ready to relive Henrico’s Civil War history Saturday and Sunday when the county commemorates the 150th anniversary of the Battle of New Market Heights with reenactments, living history exhibits and a host of other free activities.
The event will be held at the Runnymede property adjacent to the Malvern Hill site of the Richmond National Battlefield Park, 8750 Willis Church Road, located between Darbytown Road and Route 5/New Market Road.
Admission and parking are free. Gates open at 9 a.m. both days. Public parking will be located nearby at 8540 Warriner Road. Shuttles will transport visitors from the parking lot to the event site.
Parking directions, event tips, maps and other information are available at www.civilwarhenrico.com.
More than 1,000 reenactors from across the country will bring to life three battles fought in Henrico — New Market Heights and Fort Harrison, both of which took place on Sept. 29, 1864, and the Second Battle of Deep Bottom, which stretched from Aug. 14 to 20, 1864.
Battle reenactments are set for 11 a.m. and 3:30 p.m. Saturday (Fort Harrison and New Market Heights, respectively) and 1 p.m. Sunday (Deep Bottom). Visitors are encouraged to arrive at least an hour before a battle.
When they aren’t watching a reenactment, spectators can take in the sights, sounds and tastes of Civil War camp life. Activities will include:
- String and brass bands, drummers and buglers performing soldiers’ camp songs and music from the era
- Fashion show highlighting clothing from the era
- Demonstrations of baseball as it would have been played in the 1860s
- Historians discussing the military significance of the campaign for Richmond, the impact of the war on local civilians and other topics
- Period crafts and games for kids
- Food, beverages and merchandise from the era (a variety of 21st-century food and drink will be sold as well)
A complete schedule of the weekend’s programs and activities is available at http://civilwarhenrico.com/programming/.
Watch a sneak preview of the event in the video below!