Henrico County will dedicate the new Fire Station 3 with a ribbon-cutting ceremony and picnic Saturday, Sept. 15 at the station, 1310 E. Washington St., near North Airport Drive.
The event, which is open to the public, will be held from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. and will feature remarks by county officials, station tours, free hot dogs, barbecue and other food, plus children’s activities, including an inflatable bounce house and the Division of Fire’s Kid’s Safety House.
The 11,160-square-foot fire station opened in July, replacing a 2,790-square-foot station about 1 mile away that was built in 1956. The new station features a three-bay, drive-through garage to accommodate an engine company, brush truck, ambulance and fire marshal’s van. Built to withstand hurricane-force winds, the station is designated to serve as an area command center for eastern Henrico. The facility also houses the Battalion 2 chiefs, who oversee six fire stations in eastern Henrico. As with all new county stations, an emergency generator can power the station for three days before refueling.
Henrico voters approved funding in the 2005 bond referendum for the $4.5 million project. The station was developed under the Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design, or LEED, program standards. Henrico is pursuing LEED Silver certification for the facility.
The fire station provides 21 personnel with improved living quarters, a large kitchen area and dayroom, office space and an exercise room. The facility also features a repair shop for the maintenance and upkeep of the county’s medical stretchers.
For information on the dedication, call Henrico Fire at (804) 501-4900 or go to henrico.us/fire.