Important Links | Contact Information | EAP FAQs

The Employee Assistance Program (EAP) recognizes that from time to time we all experience serious personal problems. These may include marital, financial, drug or alcohol, vocational, and stress-related difficulties. The County offers its employees and their family members help through the EAP.

The EAP is confidential and your right to privacy is strictly protected. All visits with the Employee Assistance staff are available to your spouse and/or household members and are paid for by the County. Currently the Employee Assistance Program is contracted to Optima EAP.

Almost all of us, from time to time, experience serious personal problems. These may include marital, financial, drug or alcohol, vocational, and stress related difficulties. Sometimes these problems affect our job performance, sometimes just our general well being.

The important thing is that you don’t have to solve these problems alone. The Employee Assistance Program (EAP) is a benefit provided by the County for you and your family-just for that reason—you don’t have to go it alone. The Employee Assistance Program is confidential and your right to privacy is strictly protected.

Help is as simple as a phone call. You or a family member can call and speak with one of the counselors, who will schedule an appointment.

The County of Henrico considers its employees a valuable resource and knows how important your family is to you. When you or a family member are experiencing problems, please give Optima EAP a call. Your wellbeing and that of your family are their first consideration.

EAP Wellness Packages

Our new EAP provider, Optima EAP, has several packages to assist you in many wellness efforts. These packages are self-guided modules and can be obtained by calling 800-736-8272. Simply tell them you are with Henrico County, have EAP services through Optima, and would like to order one of the self-guided packages. To see what topics are offered, click here. There is no limit to how many different topics you order.

Important Links

Contact Information

Optima EAP

Henrico County Department of Human Resources 
Phone: 804-501-4273
FAX: 804-501-4426
Send us an e-mail


Henrico County offers an Employee Assistance Program to all employees and their families. An outside counseling agency is contracted to provide assessment and referral services to employees and their families in areas such as marital problems, difficulty in parent/child relationships, drugs and/or alcohol dependency, mental illness, financial problems, and other areas which can affect the work productivity of employees.

What is an employee assistance program?

  • A counseling and referral service.
  • A confidential service to help you find answers to personal problems you or your family might have.
  • A benefit from Henrico County.

Why is the employee assistance program provided?
Henrico County government is committed to its employees personally and professionally. Serious personal problems can affect your job performance, which in turn may jeopardize your employment. This program can give you the help you need, when you need it.

What information is provided to my supervisor or department?

  • If you personally schedule an appointment, no one from your place of employment will know that you have seen a counselor.
  • If your supervisor or department head has made the referral, he/she will be notified if you have kept your appointment and provided with limited information relative to your participation in the program. Any specific information regarding your situation will only be released with your written consent.

How much does it cost?
All visits are paid by Henrico County government. If a further referral is considered necessary, every effort will be made to defer expenses through use of your health care insurance program. Your EAP staff will keep your financial situation in mind any time a referral is suggested. Your well-being and that of your family have first consideration.

How do I use this service?
You or any member of your immediate family can call 800-899-8174 and speak with someone who will schedule an appointment. A staff counselor will meet with you or your family member for up to six (6) sessions to address a particular issue, during which time they will work to fully define the problem; and if additional help is considered necessary, they will assist you in obtaining that professional help. For additional questions about the process, please contact Employee Relations at 804-501-4273.

If I use this service, what type of leave may I use?

  • Annual leave, sick leave, holiday leave, compensation leave, or docked leave. When setting up your own appointment, you decide the type of leave you wish to use. The flexibility you have to designate leave allows you the best manner in which to protect your privacy.
  • When a supervisor requires the employee participates in the EAP to improve work performance, the visits will not be charged to the employee’s leave balance.

Is there a Web site?
Yes. Go to

Share This Page