Fire Fighter Recruitment
So you want to be a Fire Fighter?
The County maintains an eligibility list which is used to fill vacant firefighter positions as they become vacant. Periodically this list is updated through an open recruitment process. The frequency of this update is determined by the number of applicants on the list and how frequently the list is used to fill vacant positions.
We do not accept applications for firefighter unless we are updating our eligibility listing through the open recruitment process. You can check our weekly vacancy listing. The open recruitment for firefighter is advertised through this listing-check it frequently.
The Division of Fire is one of two components of the Public Safety Department that report directly to the County Manager. The Division of Fire responds to all types of emergencies including fire, emergency medical, hazardous materials, high rise, confined space, and water emergencies. Visit the Division of Fire to find out more.
Click here to review a class specification for firefighter. A class specification defines the general character and scope of duties and responsibilities of all positions in the Firefighter classification. It is not intended to describe and does not necessarily list the essential job functions for a given firefighter position.
- Minimum age: 18 years of age. No upper age limit; however, applicants must successfully pass a Candidate Physical Ability Test (CPAT)
- High school graduate or equivalent
- Possess a valid Virginia driver’s license with a Division of Motor Vehicles record of no more than six (6) demerit points in the past year or
nine (9) demerit points in the past two (2) years.
The County offers a wide range of benefits, including hospitalization, retirement through Virginia Retirement System (LEOS), life insurance, sick leave and vacation. Find out more about the benefits of employment with Henrico County.
- Submission of completed County of Henrico application form using iRecruitment (when listed). Click here to view to general job application process FAQs.
- Written test (applicants’ test scores will be ranked).
- Candidate Physical Ability Test (CPAT). Top percentage from written test will be scheduled to take CPAT. Applicant must sign waiver forms prior to taking the CPAT.
- The Department of Human Resources checks background experience, professional certification, DMV record, police record, etc.
- Any candidate that has not resided in the Commonwealth of Virginia continuously for the past 5 years shall provide a DMV transcript from the state in which they resided.
- The Department of Human Resources refers qualified applicants to the Division of Fire.
- Interview by Division of Fire Interview Board.
- Medical examination administered post job offer.
- Selection of most qualified applicants will be made from evaluation of above.