1.  Where can I get my birth certificate or marriage license?
It can be obtained either in person or by mail from the Division of Vital Records.

Mailing Address:

VDH, Office of Vital Records and Health Statistics
P.O. Box 1000
Richmond, Virginia

Street Address:
2001 Maywill Street
Richmond, Virginia 23230

The phone number is (804) 662-6200.  You can also get more information from their website http://www.vdh.state.va.us/vitalrec/index.asp.

2.  Where can I get a copy of a death certificate and how much does it cost?
Henrico Vital Records keeps death certificates for the past five years. The cost is $12 and must be paid in cash, check or money order.  A death certificate is filed with the local health department in the city or county in which the death occurred. Certified copies of death certificates are available upon request to those persons eligible to receive them. For more information call (804) 501-4660.

3.  Do you see adults in the Health Department Dental Clinic?  If not where can they go?
No, we do not see adults in the Health Department Dental Clinic.  Adults can be seen at the MCV Dental Clinic  (804) 828-9190, the emergency room or a private dentist.

4.  At what age should my child start seeing the dentist? The American Dental Association recommends that a child be seen by a dentist as soon as his or her first tooth erupts, but at least no later than the first birthday.  A dental visit at an early age is a “well baby visit” for the teeth.

5.  Do I need an appointment at the Health Department to get my children’s immunizations?
Yes.  Routine childhood immunizations are provided at the Multi-Service Clinic at both locations.  Please bring the child’s shot record.  For more information or an appointment call West Henrico (804) 501-4651 or East Henrico (804) 652-3190.

6.  I’m pregnant.  Can I get maternity services at the Health Department? Yes, we accept Medicaid and Medicaid HMO’s.  Patients who have no medical coverage can also be seen.  Services are provided on a sliding scale fee schedule according to ability to pay. Patients need to bring proof of income. Call (804) 501-4561 in West Henrico or (804) 652-3190 in East Henrico. Appointments are limited.

7. How can I find low-cost or no-cost health insurance for my children? Learn about programs in your state at http://www.insurekidsnow.gov/state/index.html or call 1-877-Kids-Now (1-877-543-7669).

8. How do I apply for Medicaid and other benefits?  Visit the Henrico Department of Social Services How to Apply for Benefits webpage for information on obtaining and filing an application.

9. What are my health insurance options? Visit http://www.healthcare.gov/ and click on “Explore Your Coverage & Pricing Options”. This tool will help you find the health insurance best suited to your needs, whether it’s private insurance for individuals, families, and small businesses, or public programs that may work for you. It was created to help consumers under the health insurance reform law, the Affordable Care Act.

10. Where can I find poison help? When accidents happen with chemicals, medicine, or household items, call 1-800-222-1222 to get help right away from a local poison expert. This service is offered by the Health Resources and Services Administration. If someone is unconscious or has trouble breathing, call 911.

11.  How do I apply for WIC?
To start WIC, you must meet the requirements for the 4 types of eligibility: Categorical, residential, financial and nutritional eligibility.


The WIC program helps infants from birth to age 1, children up until they turn 5, and women who are pregnant, breastfeeding, or have just given birth.
You must be a member of one of these categories to receive WIC benefits.



To receive WIC in Virginia, you must be a resident and provide proof that you live in Virginia.



WIC is also based on income.  It all depends on your yearly income and the number of people in your household.  Proof of income must be provided.
Proof includes (but is not limited to):

  • A Medicaid card
  • The pay stubs of all the people in the household
  • A TANF printout with case number
  • Food stamp “Notice of Eligibility”
  • Documentation of participation in the National School Lunch Program
  • This year’s W-2 form or income tax return


Must be at nutritional risk:

  • A medical problem
  • An unhealthy diet

Call your local WIC office to schedule an appointment.  Call West Henrico (804) 501-4652 or East Henrico (804) 652-3180 or Shrader Road (804) 501-1610.

12.  Does the Henrico County Health Department do TB skin testing for employment?
No, the Henrico County Health Department only does TB skin testing for Henrico County residents in the following situations:

  • Contacts of individuals known or suspected to have TB disease.
  • Individuals with symptoms consistent with TB.
  • Newly arrived refugees.
  • Immigrants referred to the health department by the U.S. Department of State

13.  Where is my septic tank located?
Contact the Health Department at (804) 501-4530. You will need the address of the property, the legal description of the property, and the year the house was built.

14.  How do I have my land “perked”?
Submit an Application for a Sewage Disposal and/or Water Supply Permit with applicable fees and a site plan showing property dimensions, proposed location of the house, driveways, wells, etc. to the Health Department. The Health Department will conduct a site evaluation to determine the approval/denial of the application.
You may also contract an Authorized Onsite Soil Evaluator to conduct a site evaluation. However, all permits for an onsite sewage disposal system must be approved by the Health Department.

15.   I want to have my well water sampled, where do I take it?
The Health Department does not offer this service. However, they can provide a list of certified well water testing laboratories.  Contact the Health Department at (804) 501-4530.

16.  How long does the process take to receive an approval/rejection for an onsite application?
The average response time for an approval or rejection for an Application for a Sewage Disposal Permit is two weeks. However, circumstances (weather, workload, soil conditions, etc.) may prolong the response time.

17. Do you offer a foodservice certification course?
Yes. Click here for additional information and application form.  The Health Department also offers a self study foodservice managers certification course. Contact 501-4529 for more information.

18.  What steps are involved in obtaining a foodservice permit for a new foodservice or changing ownership of an existing foodservice?
A new foodservice operation requires the submission of a Plan Review Package and an Application for A Department of Health Food Establishment Permit with applicable fees. The facility must be inspected and approved for permit prior to operation. Click here for more information or contact (804) 501-4529.
Permits are not transferable.  Therefore, ownership changes require the submission of an Application for A Department of Health Food Establishment Permit with applicable fees. Click here for form. The facility must be inspected and approved for permit prior to operation. For additional information contact (804) 501-4529.

19.  Can I operate a foodservice business (catering operation) from my home?
Due to zoning restrictions, catering operations are not permitted to operate from a residence.

20. What steps are involved in obtaining a foodservice permit to operate at a temporary event?
The Health Department should be notified of temporary events at least 30 days prior to the event date. An Application for a Temporary Restaurant Permit and the applicable fees must be received by the Health Department no later than 2 weeks prior to the date of the event.  Call 501-4529 for more information.

21. What steps are involved in requesting a sanitation inspection for a residential group home?
Submit a letter requesting the inspection to the Health Department. The letter must include the name and complete address of the facility to be inspected, the contact name and phone number for the facility, the licensing entity for the facility, and the number of residents for which the facility will be licensed. The letter should also include information as to whether the property is serviced by public sewer or an onsite sewage disposal system and public water or a well. This letter of request may be faxed to 804-501-4983.