Candles may be pretty to look at but they are a cause of home fires – and home fire deaths. Remember, a candle is an open flame which means that it can easily ignite anything that can burn.

Candle With Care@fire-candle-package

  • Blow out all candles when you leave the room or go to bed
  • Avoid the use of candles in bedrooms where people may fall asleep
  • Keep candles 12 inches away from anything that can burn

@fire-fingerThink about using flameless candles in your home.

They look and smell like real candles!


If you do burn candles make sure that you…

  • Use candle holders that are sturdy and won’t tip over easily
  • Put candle holders on a sturdy uncluttered surface
  • Light candles carefully keep your hair and any loose clothing away from the flame
  • Don’t burn a candle all the way down – put it out before it gets too close to the holder or container
  • Never use a candle if oxygen is used in the home
  • Have flashlights and battery-powered lighting ready to use during a power outage – Never use candles!

Candles and Kids@fire-christmas-candle-centerpiece-dangerous

Never leave a child alone in a room with a burning candle. Keep matches and lighters up high and out of children’s reach in a locked cabinet.

Share This Page