The community services section offers the following fire safety programs and other educational programs to business, civic, church, and other groups:
- Preschool/daycare program – teaches fire safety skills to children ages 3-5. Consists of 8 fifteen minute sessions.
- Junior Firefighter Program – teaches 1st – 3rd grades fire safety skills. This is a 45 minute program.
- Junior Fire Marshal Program – teaches 4th grade children fire safety skills. This consists of 4 one hour sessions.
- Fire Extinguisher Training Program – The Division of Fire offers fire extinguisher training to County employees and small groups of citizens. We do not offer training classes to businesses.
- Change Your Clock/Change Your Battery Campaign – this program promotes changing the smoke detector battery when you change your clock.
- Safety Talks – various types of safety talks ranging from office safety to fire safety to assisting businesses in planning evacuation procedures and fire drills.
- Child Safety Seat Classes Henrico Fire no longer provides or installs child safety seats. For assistance please visit: SaferCar.gov – Parents Central (From car seats to car keys: Keeping Kids Safe)
- Fire Prevention Week – held during the month of October to promote fire safety.
- Kids Fire Safety Night – program is held during fire prevention week at various stations to promote fire safety for kids.
- Smoke Detector Program – the Division provides smoke detectors and batteries free of charge to customers who do not have a working smoke detector. Presently this program is funded by donations.
- Career Day and Safety Talks/Public Schools – career day and safety talks are in addition to the Division’s formal programs.
- Home Safety Survey Programs – stations conduct at occupant’s request home safety surveys to all single and mutli-family dwellings. Safety literature is available to customers.
- Demos by Fire Stations – Citizens may request that an engine come out for an event such as a community day or block party. Unfortunately Henrico Fire can not attend birthday parties anymore.
- Heroes Program – Henrico Fire investigates, verifies, and makes recommendations for awards to individuals who perform lifesaving acts.
- Regional Prevention Activities – network with area fire departments in prevention activities.
- Safe Kids – Henrico Fire participates in the Safe Kids’
- After the Fire
This document from the U. S. Fire Administration has many helpful tips for recovering from a fire.