How do I obtain a dog license?
A dog license is required of all dogs over the age of four months and covers the calendar year from January 1 to December 1. Dogs used to assist impaired persons (such as sight dogs) are exempt from licensing. Read more about dog licenses, including locations for purchasing. Or, call (804) 501-4678 for more information.


Do cats have to be licensed in Henrico?
No, not at this time. Additional information can be obtained by calling the Cashier’s Office at (804) 501-4678, located at the Administration Building, Government Center, 4301 East Parham Road.


When is the next rabies clinic?
The Animal Protection Unit is proud to provide the citizens and pets of Henrico County with its Rabies Shots Clinics four times annually. For more information, please visit the Animal Protection Unit website at .


I found a dead bird in my yard. Does it need to be tested?
You should call Animal Control at the Police Non-emergency number (804) 501-5000. Animal Control is part of the Division of Police. They are located at 7721 Parham Road.

Where do I call concerning a dead animal in the road?
Contact Animal Protection at the Police Non-emergency number (804) 501-5000, to report the dead animal. Someone from Animal Protection will be dispatched to remove the animal from the roadway.


Where do I call about the stray, abandoned and/or vicious dog in my yard/neighborhood?
You need to call (804) 501-5000, the police non-emergency number. You may also contact the Animal Protection Unit at (804)652-3360. For nights, weekends, and holidays call (804)501-5000.


Is it against the law for people to allow their dogs to run loose?
Basically, yes, it is. According to the Henrico Code Section 5-34. Unlawful acts generally; animals running at large:

The following shall be deemed unlawful acts and constitute a class 4 misdemeanor. It is prohibited for any dog to run at large within the county at any time during any month of the year. For the purposes of this subsection, a dog shall be deemed to run at large while roaming, running or self-hunting off the property of its owner or custodian and not under its owner’s or custodian’s immediate control. Any owner who permits his dog to run at large in the county shall be deemed to have violated the provisions of this subsection.”

(Code 1980, 4-21; Ord. No. 1039, 2, 10-22-02) State law references: Unlawful acts, penalties, Code of Virginia, 3.1-796.128; authority of county to prohibit dogs from running at large, Code of Virginia, 3.1-796.93.


Does Henrico have a leash law?
No, Henrico’s control ordinance does not require the dog to be on a leash, but it does require animals to be under the owner’s control at all times.


What happens to animals picked up while roaming free?
When an animal, such as a dog, is picked up by the Animal Protection unit, brought to the Animal Shelter and does not have a collar or ID, by law we are required to hold the animal five full days. We hold it seven full days and put it up for adoption on the eighth day. If the animal bears a collar and no ID, by law we are required to hold the animal for 10 full days. We hold it 12 days and put it up for adoption on the twelfth day.

If we pick up an animal and it is returned to the owner, there is a pickup fee of $25 plus $5 per day board fee after the first 24 hours.

The shelter’s adoption policy is first-come, first-served. We cannot hold any animal for anyone. The fee for adoption is $10 per animal. An adoption contract has to be signed by the new owner stating that they will have the animal sterilized within 30 days and a copy of the contract returned to us as soon as the sterilization is completed.


How do I go about surrendering an animal to the Animal Shelter?
You will need to call the Animal Shelter (804-727-8800) during its operating hours and make an appointment to bring the animal in to release it to the county.


Is there a limit on the number of pets I can own in Henrico?
Yes, by law a residence/household can have no more than three adult pets (defined as four months of age or older), of any variety. However, it may be possible to obtain a Conditional Use Permit to allow a private kennel.


What should I do if I know that a neighbor is violating the law by having more than three adult pets?
You can either call the Community Maintenance hotline at (804) 501-4757 or you can fill out the Online Complaint Form.


How do I report an animal bite?
Call the Police Non-emergency number at (804) 501-5000. They are located at 7721 Parham Road.


What can I do about a neighbor’s dog barking too much?
During business hours (Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.), call (804) 727-8800 to speak with an Animal Protection Officer. After hours, call (804) 501-5000, the Police Non-emergency phone number.

For comprehensive information about this and other noise-related matters, refer to the Division of Police’s Community Resource Guide (PDF).


Are there any special regulations specific to certain breeds of dogs, such as pit bulls?
No, there are no regulations concerning specific breeds.